cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresh Water tank filter/screen clogged unable to reattach

pcmentor29
Explorer
Explorer
My fresh water tank screen was clogged with sand. I got the screen and T out and cleaned it but now I can't get it to go back in. I have included photos. This is for a 1985 Toyota Dolphin. I tried to get what looks like a rubber ring out of the tank fitting but am so far unable to get it out, it is too tight for the screen to fit up through. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Pete

1985 Toyota Dolphin 21' 22RE Auto
2002 at Quartzsite, AZ
8 REPLIES 8

pcmentor29
Explorer
Explorer
SOLVED
Thanks for all your great input. I hand twisted a 1/2" drill bit a couple times and the screen(also 1/2") slid in. Now no leaks and my pump works. It was having problems pulling water through the clogged screen. I am glad I didn't just discard the screen. Pete
2002 at Quartzsite, AZ

Alfred622
Explorer
Explorer
Take a hairdryer to the plastic... it might soften just enough to slide together. Some petroleum jelly might help too.
Alfred
2005 Sightseer with Workhorse, ReadyBrute Elite towing 2003 Honda CRV
Map below shows states where we actually camped.....

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
TUCQUALA wrote:
Looks like in the first photo, that the hole isn't large enough for the filter. Notice the crimped down area near the threads. Probably came out hard, but since it was being pulled versus pushed it made it's way out.

It looks like you could drill out the tank and/or fitting to match the outside diameter of the screen. Wouldn't recommend drilling out any threads. Or, get rid of screen and add an external filter in the pump pickup line.

Maybe even add a valve between the tank and filter. Then the filter can be changed/cleaned without draining the tank.

Dusty

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like in the first photo, that the hole isn't large enough for the filter. Notice the crimped down area near the threads. Probably came out hard, but since it was being pulled versus pushed it made it's way out.

It looks like you could drill out the tank and/or fitting to match the outside diameter of the screen. Wouldn't recommend drilling out any threads. Or, get rid of screen and add an external filter in the pump pickup line.
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
This is likely spin welded and what you are seeing is melted plastic. I would take an Xacto knife and trim it.

pcmentor29
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking the plastic ring might come out. I tried a little but it looks like it's glued. Should I try to get the ring out? This pic shows the side of the ring. Thanks, Pete

This pic shows the flange does not come off. I was thinking of using a drill bit to widen the hole.
2002 at Quartzsite, AZ

pcmentor29
Explorer
Explorer
camperpaul wrote:
Your photos didn't come through.

Sorry, I put them in now. Pete
2002 at Quartzsite, AZ

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Your photos didn't come through.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)