cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fresh Water Tank Gages

grouchrc
Explorer
Explorer
The gages on my FW tank seem to have locked up on 2/3ds full-after 13 yrs of good service.
How can I clean the tank and the gage sensors?
2002 Dodge 3500, Diesel, Auto, 2wd 4.10 rear,EGT/Boost & tranny gages,aFe Air filter,Jardine 4" exhaust, BetterBuilt boxes.. Master Brake Controler. 33ft AutoMate 5th wheel
12 REPLIES 12

grouchrc
Explorer
Explorer
Shine? Polish or moonshine?
2002 Dodge 3500, Diesel, Auto, 2wd 4.10 rear,EGT/Boost & tranny gages,aFe Air filter,Jardine 4" exhaust, BetterBuilt boxes.. Master Brake Controler. 33ft AutoMate 5th wheel

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
tvman44 wrote:
Fill them with water and add Rid-X and let sit for a couple of days. Works for us. ๐Ÿ™‚

A quart or two of shine might be preferable in the tank or otherwise. ๐Ÿ™‚

grouchrc
Explorer
Explorer
When the tank is under the floor and between the frames the sensors ar hidden and a tube gage won't work.

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Our fresh water tank stands upright below our kitchen sink. Some clear tubing connected by a tee to the pump suction provided a simple solution to the tank level issue. The valve at the top is normally closed to keep the pump from sucking air down the tube. An accurate level is obtained by opening the valve for a moment.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
OK, not the fresh water just the gray & black water tanks, although it could be done to the fresh then sanitized with bleach afterwards. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

ScottnSherrie
Explorer
Explorer
I've read about many tricks to try and clean the sensors. If you have some cash to spend and at least a moderate level of electrical skills, I suggest you install a SeeLeveL system.

Here is an older post that goes into detail.
88 Gulf Stream 34' Sun Vista, Ford 460, Edelbrock Perfomer carb, Thorley headers
Ford F-250 crew cab 4X4, 6.0 turbo diesel
complete roof rebuild
daughter 19, son 16
US Army Desert Storm vets (both of us)
left: The Ol' Gal right: DW with White Lightnin'

mnoeltne
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I would try filling the fresh tank to about 2/3 to 3/4 full, then add some bleach. About double the amount that most recommend for freshening the water supply. Don't run the faucets or anything. Drive around for 20 to 30 min to slosh it, then drain.

If that doesn't fix it, then it's time to check the wiring, or start pulling the sensors to check them.
Mark & Joyce Noeltner
2005 Fleetwood Fiesta 26Y
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

grouchrc
Explorer
Explorer
I just got home from 3 weeks in Kentucky. I think the tank sloshed quite a bit driving to CA. Just drained the tank and it is holdingc2/3ds full.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
tvman44 wrote:
Fill them with water and add Rid-X and let sit for a couple of days. Works for us. ๐Ÿ™‚

Fresh water tank, not the black tank.... :@

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
tvman44 wrote:
RidX in the FRESH water tank?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Do you drive with water in the tank? If not, fill it about half way, drive around a little. See if the sloshing will help clean them off. It's also possible the sensors could just be going bad or the wiring is going bad. Try filling and drive around, then drain and see if there's a change. This is definitely the least evasive attempt at a solution.