cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fridge cooling unit forming crystals-help!

drillagent
Explorer
Explorer
BLUF - How do I keep fridge cooling unit from forming crystals?

We spend most of the year work camping. We spend five months in one location, then take a month of traveling to the next location. Our Norcold 1200 fridge has been having cooling problems. We had a technician look at it and was told the cooling unit was blocked with crystals and would eventually need to be replaced. The tech even went so far as to suggest banging on the canister to loosen the crystals.

We have started our move to the next locale and it seems the crystals have broken loose again. The fridge now works great. So good, I had to turn it down because itโ€™s getting too cold.

So, once we get to our work location, how do I keep it from getting blocked again? Should I bang on the canister once a week, or just when it stops cooling again? Eventually, when funds become available, it will be replaced. But until then...
TV: 2012 F250 CC SB SRW 6.7L Diesel w/air lift suspension
CHU: 2012 Keystone Montana 3750FL
Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball w/ Companion 3500
Family: Me, HH6, a Boston Terrier, a Shiba Inu
14 REPLIES 14

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
You can go a long way towards preventing this if you install a Fridge Defender a.k.a. The ARP device.
-- Chris Bryant

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
2oldman wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
I covered ICE crystals on the fins.. "Crystals" inside the tubes .. How can you see them???
The technician had an xray machine.

He HEARD them going thru the tubes:B Doug

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
I covered ICE crystals on the fins.. "Crystals" inside the tubes .. How can you see them???
The technician had an xray machine.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Deleted - Duplicate post

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
^ X-Ray vision I believe.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Bottom line - your fridge is done!! A new one (or at least a cooling unit replacement) are in your not very distant future!!
An inverter and residential fridge may make more sense if you have the battery capacity to run it.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
Sitting for that length of time, I would get a residential fridge and an inverter to run it for the one month a year on the road.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You did NOT have a "tech" look at your refer. You had a Handy man idiot look at your refer. REAL RV Techs do not give such bad advice. Doug

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sodium Chromate (rust inhibitor in the coolant solution) forms crystals when overheating occurs (overheating of the coolant due to lack of proper gravity flow due to off level operations)

Crystals plate out on interior of cooling unit tubes......can be in perk tube (boiler section) and/or in tubing between freezer cooling coil and food compartment cooling coil.
Formation is accumulative and PERMANENT. (once formed they do NOT go back into solution) Banging may dislodge some from the tubing which can allow for increase in coolant flow but the dislodged crystals just flow into another area of tubing.

Once formed it is just a matter of time before cooling unit can no longer function OR cause enough restriction of coolant flow that the tubing is heat stressed (coolant no longer absorbing heat) and the tube cracks....ammonia/hydrogen gas spew out (300 psi)

Plan ahead!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

fairway2002
Explorer
Explorer
I think your saying the crystals are inside the cooling system not the evaporator ?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two answers
1: you don't
2: Fans. I have a pair of 12 volt "Comptuer" fans hooked to the light circuit (Before the switch so they are on all the time) one is a higher capacity and that end of the cooling fins is very clear of ice. the other end has some ice but the fan is not as "Fast".. They make a set of fans designed to attach to the TOP of the Fridge. along with an LED light in the assembly.. I don't have a link handy but plan on converting one day.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
A properly-running refer doesn't need to be banged on. You may get by doing that for a while, but I'd start saving my money.

And yes, the above is true.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
My understanding as this can be caused by running out-of-level. But, I am not sure if this is true.

Steve
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"