cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

FW 120v ac wiring guidance

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
I just finished the install of a Progressive Industries EMS unit (EMS-HW50C) for our 50 Amp service FW. I also added a transfer switch for the 7KW Onan generator I am installing in the front bay.

all works great.. the EMS unit also tells you the amp draw per leg.. nice info..

well, I just discovered that they wired it so that I have both A/C units AND the microwave on one leg.. the vac/clothes washer (not installed) and converter are on the other leg.
(had 'expected' to have the circuit layout like a normal breaker panel where the breaker slots toggle which source they are on.. WF8930/50 )

course they didn't leave enough wire in the fuse panel for me to just MOVE the hot wire around, so I will have to pull the thing out again, release the wire clamps and move the circuits around..

is there any guidance on what to put on what leg? What happens when you go to a 30amp service location.. I would use the dogbone, so I think both sides are still powered..just with less amp available..

the one leg ws pulling 16amp with the main A/C on. 28 with both.

thanks for any advice

2012 Ford F350 DRW, 6.7 diesel.
2013 Keystone Alpine 3720FB
22 REPLIES 22

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

If you boondock and use an inverter there is a case to be made for having all the items you do NOT wish to run via the inverter on one leg.

You could still have each air conditioner on separate legs--just don't turn it on when using the inverter.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
My recommendation: Yes I would split the air conditioners as they have the greatest chance to run continuously.

L1
1 air
Microwave
fridge
Convenience
Vac

L2
1 air
water heater
converter
GFI convenience circuit
washer/dryer

thanks.. that wouldn't be too hard, only need to swap the vac and the second a/c.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
My recommendation: Yes I would split the air conditioners as they have the greatest chance to run continuously.

L1
1 air
Microwave
fridge
Convenience
Vac

L2
1 air
water heater
converter
GFI convenience circuit
washer/dryer

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
It really doesn't matter. The legs dont have to be balanced and as long as your not over loading a leg it's fine the way it is.

wasn't so much 'balanced' as no need to load everything on one leg as there are two.

but thanks.. I'll try to let it go..

sdetweil
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Who's they?

AFAIK only the 2nd a/c is on the other leg. Perhaps you've already seen this: RV 50a service

they is whoever assembled the thing.. Alpine manufacturing.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
No real issue. There could be some other loads on the lower amperage that will balance out somewhat closer.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It really doesn't matter. The legs dont have to be balanced and as long as your not over loading a leg it's fine the way it is.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Who's they?

AFAIK only the 2nd a/c is on the other leg. Perhaps you've already seen this: RV 50a service
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman