cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gas regulator 11" vs 13" WC??

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
Had an issue the passed week with fridge not holding temp while traveling.

Got home, checked everything out and regulator measured 8" WC. This was an almost new regulator which worked a bit over 1 year. It would not adjust any higher.

Re-installed the original 10 year old regulator which measured about 11.5" WC. Fridge is back up and running.

In doing this I noticed Norcold specifies 13" WC requirement. I may not have been paying close attention, but I've never noticed anyone talking about setting their regulator at 13". I found some info that 10" to 14" was the acceptable appliance design spec.

I notice that all the regulators I could find info on are set to 11" from the factory.

Anyone know of why we use 11" as the general standard if the fridge is designed for optimum operation at 13"?

By the way, 8" WC at my Norcold N641 set to max would maintain 40* to 45* depending on the outside temp. At ambient temp of ~92*, 11.5" WC will hold 32* with control set to 7.
Joe and Evelyn
7 REPLIES 7

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
I gave Northwood Mfg. a call today and let them know that all their TC owners manuals incorrectly called out 13" WC as gas regulator pressure. Should be 11.

This was on page 6 of the 2 older TC manuals and page 9 of the 2 newer manuals.

I didn't check the TT and FW manuals.
Joe and Evelyn

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
WC should be at 11.0 to 11.5 that is pretty standard.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If you want a new regulator I recommend Cavagna brand.

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
I stand corrected.

I'm going to blame this one on the wife, as she was reading the info to me and then pointed to it and said "see". I know better than to argue. Thought it best to ask here first.

Norcold manual specifies 11" WC.

She had the camper manual reading Northwood's take on the LP gas system. Page 6 of the June 2004 manual. I wonder if they've corrected it since then?
Joe and Evelyn

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Below is from Norcolds Service manual and this is also listed on the Refer DATA tag on the inside of the refer. Doug
LP gas (propane) Operating pressure-----10.5 to 11.5 in. w.c.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Exactly where did you notice the 13" WC spec ? ๐Ÿ™‚

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Never seen a statement specifying 13" WC for ANY RV absorption fridge by ANY mfg.

10.5" to 11.5" operating range for water heaters, stove top burners/ovens & fridges etc
Orifices have been designed for this specification in order to properly mix with air supply (fuel/air ratio is very narrow)

Where did you read this 'Norcold specifies 13" WC requirement'?
Got a LINK

Biggest issue with absorption fridge cooling abilities are due to RV MFG NOT properly installing them (tight clearances/proper draft--air flow) as required by the Fridge MFG.

BTW......11" WC is standard for residential applications also
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31