cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator grew legs and need new, what is your choice?

path1
Explorer
Explorer
My mid 1990's Honda generator grew legs from my carport. Only 3rd time since 1977 we've had any problems. Nothing changed in neighborhood, except one guy that has moved in with his sister while he's "looking for a job".

With the choices now, what would you replace with? I've always had good luck with Honda but noticed that Yamaha and Ryobi and several others on the market now.

Last trip out used brother in-laws Honda generators. No problem with one keeping battery charged up, running it couple hours a day. But couldn't run micro or a/c. Don't know the size, they were red, not sure if 1000 or 2000?

Anyways does Honda still own the generator market for RV's? If not what's best choice?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
42 REPLIES 42

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Set the next one on a piece of wood and connect a fence charger to it. A scream is a dead giveaway.

Yes and it will be a neighbor kid and a really big lawsuit will follow. NOT Smart.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
A game trail cameras works great.

i use one to spy on the ferrel cats. ๐Ÿ™‚

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mex, I have one of those same alarm systems. He can hear a turtle fart from 3 miles. I never knew that they used them for service dogs for the hearing impaired until recently.
This is the first dog my ladies ever let me name, so he is Chimichanga haha.
Puma 30RKSS

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
Put a cheap web cam in the window. Give incriminating video to police. Watch as they take scumbag away.

Jose

72cougarxr7
Explorer
Explorer
My champion 2000w inverter in economy mode will run my microwave just fine. My microwave is one of the smaller 8 or 900 watt units.
If you are going to run an AC unit, I would get one of the Champion 3100w inverter gens, they are a nice unit, built in wheels and handle for easy transport.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Was your converter on? My converter can pull 975w when the generator first starts. That doesn't leave much left over for a microwave pulling 1375w on a 2000w generator.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
bbaker2001 wrote:
I had the champion from Costco, it was a great price. I wanted to use the microwave, and it would not even turn it in. tried the next Costco model, but when turn on microwave the rpm went way up and would shut down after about 2 min. tried the Honda 2x the price, and can run microwave ok. still revs up, but does not shut down. none of the 2000 will run an A/C.
I loved my champion, and really don't use the microwave that often. if not needing microwave then 1st choice is champion 2000 watt. it was just as quiet as my Honda

Switch your fridge over to gas from Auto and I'll bet you won't have that problem.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

path1
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
my son had his stolen from his carport. it was brand new still in the box and as it happened that I worked at sears back then. I had a guy who came in and asked about the same model and was asking some weird questions. so I got his car license number as he was driving away. well it turns out my son was a sheriff deputy back then, gave him the license number and they did some investigating and found my suspicions were correct. lesson learned here is don't leave your genny on the carport. and don't steal from my relatives.

Glad you got him.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
gotsmart wrote:
Get yourself an Onan Microquiet 4000, weld it to a hand truck, add a battery box & battery, 30 amp pigtail, and a 10 gallon fuel cell. For decoration add the pull starter assembly from a 40 year old K-Mart walk-behind push rotary mower, and slap a sign on the side of it that says: "FREE".

It will never leave your car port EVER AGAIN.

That is what exactly in our Majestic. But its pretty hard for me to load into pick up when we take wives trailer.:D

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
my son had his stolen from his carport. it was brand new still in the box and as it happened that I worked at sears back then. I had a guy who came in and asked about the same model and was asking some weird questions. so I got his car license number as he was driving away. well it turns out my son was a sheriff deputy back then, gave him the license number and they did some investigating and found my suspicions were correct. lesson learned here is don't leave your genny on the carport. and don't steal from my relatives.

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
Get yourself an Onan Microquiet 4000, weld it to a hand truck, add a battery box & battery, 30 amp pigtail, and a 10 gallon fuel cell. For decoration add the pull starter assembly from a 40 year old K-Mart walk-behind push rotary mower, and slap a sign on the side of it that says: "FREE".

It will never leave your car port EVER AGAIN.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
I had the champion from Costco, it was a great price. I wanted to use the microwave, and it would not even turn it in. tried the next Costco model, but when turn on microwave the rpm went way up and would shut down after about 2 min. tried the Honda 2x the price, and can run microwave ok. still revs up, but does not shut down. none of the 2000 will run an A/C.
I loved my champion, and really don't use the microwave that often. if not needing microwave then 1st choice is champion 2000 watt. it was just as quiet as my Honda
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

Rainier
Explorer
Explorer
I love my Yamaha 2000 inverter gen!

path1
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
path1 wrote:
I don't even know what model. It was prior to the little red ones. A 2500 watt. Weighed about 70 pounds and about twice the size the red ones. The new ones are a big improvement. It was also louder than the news ones.

The only service it ever had was a new carb after the new gas came out and gummed up the works.

For what it's worth, we have a late 1980's non-inverter red color Honda generator that still runs great and is as quiet as the much newer model Honda inverter generators. We carry it along all the time in our RV for battery charging instead of using the built-in generator when not on hookups. I replaced a switch on the little red Honda once, years ago.

By the way ... what Honda generators were painted yellow? I've never seen one that color.

OP here...

I've never seen a yellow Honda. I did look up what I had and it is this or real close. http://www.hondalawnparts.com/PublicMedia/GetClientMedia/62605

The only problem I had was when the new gas came in I didn't know it would gum up and had to replace carb.