cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GFI Breaker

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
So I warned the GF not to plug in 5 appliances to the outlets in the kitchen. She did anyway and the plugs stopped working, including the kitchen, living room, and outside plugs. All of the dead plugs are labelled "Ground Fault Protected" but none have resets or test buttons.

Turns out the bedroom and TV outlets are on their own circuit. The bathroom has a GFCI plug that tests, resets, and works independently of this problem.

A lot of the rest of this post is guesswork.

So I opened up my breaker panel and there is a 15amp circuit labelled "GFI" (no "C"). I bought another breaker ($25) and replaced it and the "failed" circuits continued to not work.

About an hour later, mysteriously, they were on.

Here's the real guesswork...

The contacts on the old breaker looked bent. While on there was continuity but I could not tell if power was getting to it through the bent contacts. I can not explain the hour long delay before power was restored. Some sort of reset process/lag?

Your thoughts?
There is something special about camping in an RV.
31 REPLIES 31

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
I am guessing you have another GFCI receptacle.
The breaker you replaced, was it a true GFI breaker or was it just a single pole breaker. GFI breakers have a reset button.

I don't really know the answers to your good questions. All I did was replace the GFI breaker with a single pole breaker. The breaker panel lists this particular breaker as GFI. We looked high and low for a resetable outlet, and never reset anything since we couldn't find it.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I am guessing you have another GFCI receptacle.
The breaker you replaced, was it a true GFI breaker or was it just a single pole breaker. GFI breakers have a reset button.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker