cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Go-Power TS-30 30 Amp Transfer Switch

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thinking about installing a Go-Power TS-30 (30 amp) transfer switch in our camper. Anyone aware of any particular pros and cons about this unit? Other model transfer switches we should consider? Thanks.

Not sure if this feature is available in other transfer switches, but I noticed the TS-30 has the option to route the AC input to the converter through the TS-30. When the inverter is active the TS-30 automatically shuts off power to the converter.
18 REPLIES 18

ibyers
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Yes I think the linked fuse holder will work perfectly. Panel mount with access would seem to be the preferred set up.

Thanks for the feedback, I think I am going to bench test the fuse and see how well it works/looks/feels. for the cost of the fuse its worth testing.

ibyers
Explorer
Explorer
3 tons wrote:
ibyers wrote:
Hey all, I know this is a older thread, but thought I would ask here first before starting a new thread.

I picked up this transfer switch and looking at the wiring diagram(s) it suggests to add a fuse to the Charger/converter circuit, However it really does not give more information than this.

Looking at fuse options, and other threads, a 15 amp fuse for this leg of the circuit seems to be the norm. That being said, would this fuse be ok? (I like the idea of drilling a hole in the case and mounting for easy access to the fuse).

Acouto Panel Mount Fuse Holder 5PCS Electrical Panel Mounted Screw Cap Fuse Tube Holder for 6x30mm Glass Fuses AC 125V 15A / 250V 10A

Amazon Canada Link

Well, per the diagram the fuse they are suggesting is between the charger and the battery (unrelated to the ATS...), so in this case the fuse size would be dependent on the rated output of the charger, plus say 10%...But your charger may already have such a fuse (a blade type fuse) integral on itโ€™s body...

3 tons

Hi 3 Tons, the fuse I am referring to is inside the one transfer box. Top left corner of the box.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
otrfun wrote:
Thinking about installing a Go-Power TS-30 (30 amp) transfer switch in our camper. Anyone aware of any particular pros and cons about this unit? Other model transfer switches we should consider? Thanks.

Not sure if this feature is available in other transfer switches, but I noticed the TS-30 has the option to route the AC input to the converter through the TS-30. When the inverter is active the TS-30 automatically shuts off power to the converter.

I have the Go power system in my 5th wheel. I did have the TS-30 but I killed it and put in the TS-50. I did get it swapped out for free as they never should have put a 30amp transfer switch in a 50amp system.... there mistake when they installed it so they made good. other than they they work great , Go-Power when they were canadian owned and operated were kowen for high quality even if they were a bit on the expensive side. not sure if the quality has changed now that they are american owned.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes I think the linked fuse holder will work perfectly. Panel mount with access would seem to be the preferred set up.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
ibyers wrote:
Hey all, I know this is a older thread, but thought I would ask here first before starting a new thread.

I picked up this transfer switch and looking at the wiring diagram(s) it suggests to add a fuse to the Charger/converter circuit, However it really does not give more information than this.

Looking at fuse options, and other threads, a 15 amp fuse for this leg of the circuit seems to be the norm. That being said, would this fuse be ok? (I like the idea of drilling a hole in the case and mounting for easy access to the fuse).

Acouto Panel Mount Fuse Holder 5PCS Electrical Panel Mounted Screw Cap Fuse Tube Holder for 6x30mm Glass Fuses AC 125V 15A / 250V 10A

Amazon Canada Link

Well, per the diagram the fuse they are suggesting is between the charger and the battery (unrelated to the ATS...), so in this case the fuse size would be dependent on the rated output of the charger, plus say 10%...But your charger may already have such a fuse (a blade type fuse) integral on itโ€™s body...

3 tons

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Those fuse holders don't look especially well-made, nor is there any indication that they have regulatory approvals. I would be hesitant to use it for a relatively high-current application (like the converter).

Ideal would be to put in a small one or two breaker subpanel, or a plug fuse holder. The latter are getting relatively hard to find, but they are available in single handy box size. "Plug fuses" are the old-fashioned screw-in type that look something like the base of a standard light bulb.

ibyers
Explorer
Explorer

Amazon Canada Link

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Forgot to mention I'll be installing the TS-30 in an in-bed camper with no on-board generator. I'll be manually switching from shore power to a portable generator and back using the camper's 30 amp power cord. So no need for a generator/shore power transfer switch.

Found this on the gpelectric.com website. Little more detail here. I believe the TS-30 is going to work just fine for our particular application. It clearly shows NC for the inverter and NO for the converter.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
To ensure that the refer, HW heater and converter are decoupled from the inverter, I have two transfer switches cascaded together (second ATS for inverter input), with the House receptacles, microwave and air conditioner circuits relocated from the main to a sub-panel - sub is supplied via second transfer switch...

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Appreciate the help, wa8yxm and Tom_M!

Wa8yxm, glad you were able to make some sense of the TS-30 manual. I read it yesterday. Way too cryptic for me.

Disappointed there was no schematic in the manual. That would have certainly helped clarify things. Anyhow, once I have the TS-30 and the manual in-hand at the same time, I'm sure it'll all make more sense.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
The two pictures depict thing same thing. You have to disconnect the converter from the AC breaker box and connect it to the transfer switch. This will work if you plan to manually unplug from shore power then plug into generator. I was overthinking the problem a bit. Newer motorhomes already have a generator/shore power transfer switch.

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
THey clrarly show that if you have both a generator and an inverter you need two of them.

Here is the link to the owner's manual
TS-30 Owner's manual PFD on the corporate web site. Took me about one google search.

I would hook up differently than this (will cover that in another paragrahp)
but

Shore/Generator to TS-1 tap in converter via breaker---
TS1 to converter and TS-2 inverter to TS 2 TS 2 to power box

Better
SHore generator to ts-1 to main box 30 amp fuse to INVERTER/COnverter to second breaker box to selected loads

(Air conditioner Fridge water heater. and other BIG TICKET go to main (Microwave can go either way depending on size of battery bank and inverter) The inverter charger has a trenadre switch built in. THIS IS HOW I DO IT.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times