cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

HELP! Battery not supplying electricity to RV!

Samanthahhi
Explorer
Explorer
We are on the road, but staying 2 nights at a hotel. When we unhooked from our car, we noticed no interior lights working and light for fridge off. We hoped back to car and all was good. Bought new deep cycle battery, installed, still no good unless connected to car. Any ideas on what else could be affecting the flow of energy??
Samantha - Bluffton, SC
Co-pilot, Brodie (son)

2009 GMC Yukon 5.3 4WD
2014 Nomad 241 and loving it!!
9 REPLIES 9

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Why do we just "assume" that a person w/ a battery connection problem would have at least checked the battery terminals for corrosion before even thinking about posting the question ?? If they refuse to get their hands dirty, and don't know a CB from a bettery disconnect, and are going to take it to RV repair anyway, why ask ?
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Samanthahhi
Explorer
Explorer
Turns out that my connectors were corroded AND the cut off switch was in the wrong position from what the rv dealership said it should be upon installation. But that would be secondary to the corrosion issue. The repairman did point our where the item you listed above was located. ..not under frame thank goodness. All is well!
Samantha - Bluffton, SC
Co-pilot, Brodie (son)

2009 GMC Yukon 5.3 4WD

MrWizard
Ok so go find the circuit breaker ..from the picture.. And jumper the wire from one terminal to the other

either its bad, or somebody forgot a wire when reconnecting every thing
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Samanthahhi
Explorer
Explorer
My lack of terminology is the issue. Sorry about that. Yes, they applied an external cut off switch. There is the up position then to the left is 1 and to the right is 2. It's a marine switch, I believe they said. We tried all positions to no avail.
Samantha - Bluffton, SC
Co-pilot, Brodie (son)

2009 GMC Yukon 5.3 4WD

MrWizard
i think you are confused about the whole issue

a breaker has NOTHING to do with whether the battery can be run down or not
it is a short circuit safety and it came pre-installed from the factory

IF the RV service shop did anything to help you stop battery run down in storage
they would have added a disconnect switch someplace

maybe it is Not turned on
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Samanthahhi
Explorer
Explorer
Great info. I had my rv dealer install an external breaker so that it would not run my battery down so fast when stored. All that you've said makes sense. I think they screwed up in the install. Until today, I always had it hooked up to the car or a campsite electric. i would've been SOL if I had chosen a city park...grrr.

I did get it to an rv campground that has a recommendation for an onsite RV repairman. I think I am going to give him a call. This doesn't sound so difficult, but electronics are not my thing. Yet now, I will have a much better understanding of what is most likely going on.
Samantha - Bluffton, SC
Co-pilot, Brodie (son)

2009 GMC Yukon 5.3 4WD

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
DC circuit breaker

And if that isn't the problem......do you have a 'battery disconnect switch' turned OFF?

And if battery was ever hooked up backwards there are 'Reverse Polarity' Fuse(s) on converter that will blow

Any 1 of the 3 will not allow battery to supply trailer with DC power

Do you have a power tongue jack?
Does it work when trailer is not plugged into the Yukon?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

MrWizard
sounds like the 12v DC auto reset breaker between the battery and the TT wiring is bad

follow the black wire from the tt battery, it should go to a little silver box with (2) connections on it , just so you know ..the Black wire is the Positive/plus and the white is the Negative/ground..do not hook up battery backwards
goto the auto parts store and get a NEW One size 40 amps
as a test you can move one wire from one terminal onto the other terminal , if the thermal breaker is bad and everything else is OK power will come back on
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Just because the coach battery is new, doesn't mean it has an adequate charge. check the battery @ the terminals with a volt meter.

I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74