cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help from Microwave tech please.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
2002 motorhome, presume the Sharp micro convection oven is the same age. There is 100,000 miles on the coach, we use the oven a lot.

Recently, when reheating tea, or melting cheese on toast, power on high, time set for 15 to 30 seconds. 4 times in the past three weeks there has been a loud BANG or CRACK like an arc and the oven proceeds to heat to the end of the timer, items are hot, no burning smell.

Not every time, just once in a while. Convection seems OK.

Ideas what is happening? I am in Mexico and not too sure if I want to take this into a local shop.

My CV as it were" ham radio operator (built first radio transmitter at the age of 11) worked for a year in Radio TV shop as apprentice, have very few tools: VOM, soldering iron etc

Physical disability--couldn't get it out by myself but probably could with help.

Recommendations: Wait and watch for smoke with fire extinguisher at hand/ (I was a Volunteer Firefighter for many years) :B

Or open it up if I can figure out how to get it out.
22 REPLIES 22

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your in MX, you should be able to find a decent replacement for way less.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
sch911 wrote:
Bottom line here is that microwaves are throw away devices. Just replace it period....

14 year old microwave. Probably not repairable. Parts not available. But a new one for less than $100.

Thanks for those with helpful suggestions.

Why don't people read the original post before making blanket statements?

I'm speaking of a micro/CONVECTION oven here. Like this one.

About $780.00 Canadian. I don't throw that kind of money away, it's a significant portion of my monthly pension.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
Bottom line here is that microwaves are throw away devices. Just replace it period....

14 year old microwave. Probably not repairable. Parts not available. But a new one for less than $100.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
The first time you get a whizz bang is an anomaly, the second time is a warning, after that whatever happens is your own **** fault.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Arcs can be due to a buildup of crud on or in or around the waveguide. There generally is a thin plastic sheet thingy over it. Take the sheet piece off, clean, and put back. If it's too far gone, you probably could get a replacement piece from an appliance repair place for not too much money.

There are of course other possible causes, but this is a relatively common one.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Good thought but not the case here; the Sharpe Carousel Microwave/Convection has an all stainless steel oven interior.

But it does sound like an arc. I have shorted enough capacitors to ground in my day to know the sound!

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had a MW do something like that. Turned out the paint under the glass turntable had been eaten away by something (a spill?) in a small spot exposing bare metal, which arced. Cure was to paint it. Complication--some paints don't work on that original paint. Got it fixed after a few tries.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.