cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help me pick a MPPT solar charge controller.

pirlbeck
Explorer
Explorer
A little background info.

This is for a truck camper with limited space. I would like to use the Lance factory 12ga solar wiring from the roof down to the charge controller. I can use larger wire/cable from the controller to the batteries, so that is not an issue. I really would like to avoid pulling or routing new, larger wiring from the roof down to the solar charge controller. I installed a Trimetric 2030 battery monitor and wired in a second battery that sits in the bed of the truck and pulling new wires/cables is not a lot of fun in a smaller truck camper like this 845. If possible, I would like to just plug into the Lance installed molded connector already on the roof, but if I have to remove the plug and install a roof junction box, it would not be a huge deal to me.

I do not feel we are large power user and I have large charge wires from the truck that charge the batteries pretty well when we travel. Last summer we took a 3 week trip and had not power issues, but we traveled a fair distance most days and had shore power most nights. This summer may be different as we are planning a trip to Alaska so we may be doing more boondocking.

Due to using the existing Lance wiring I would like to wire the panels in series and use a MPPT controller.

I have 2 Crown 31DC130 130AH batteries, new last spring.

I have 3 older, but unused Kyocera KT50 50Watt panels I picked up a year ago for almost nothing and I would like to use these panels. I may want to add more solar watts later IF roof space allows. I know adding more panels later and adding to a series string may be a problem as it may exceed the voltage limits of a lot of MPPT controllers.

Panel specs can be found here.

https://www.solarelectricsupply.com/kyocera-50-watt-solar-panel-kc50-308

Open circuit voltage 21.7
Vmp 17.4
Isc 3.31

Charge controller will be mounted in cabinet under the sink as that is where Lance has the solar wiring routed to, it is the only available location and it is close to the batteries.

I would like something that can be controlled and monitored with a Apple device (I phone or IPAD). I really do not want to wire and mount any sort of remote control/display panel. And changing settings and monitoring it without some sore of remote display is not really an option due to mounting location.

As far as cost......I don't want to spend more then is required, but I am willing to spend a little extra to get exactly what I want, if it is available. I would prefer it is something that has been available for a while and has a proven track record.

Thanks!
2009 Lance 845
2021 Flagstaff 529RLKS 36'6" fifthwheel
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
19.5 Rickson wheels with Michelin XZE tires
Air lift bags with 72000 wireless onboard air
Hellwig Big Wig rear sway bar
Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks
Torqlift tie downs
11 REPLIES 11

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Solar planning usually goes like this:
Estimate your energy needs -> Calculate panel wattage required to cover this -> Decide on panels voltage and wiring (24 or 12, parallel or series) and on type and size of controller (PWM or MPPT).

Installing 3*50W in series with MPPT, if you will want to add more watts later, you will have to add in 50W increments again.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grape also has an Android bluetooth app. Just email Grape CS and they'll send you a link.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

pirlbeck
Explorer
Explorer
OK, thanks for the replies. I am going to spend some time looking at the different brands/models recommended above before I make a decision.
2009 Lance 845
2021 Flagstaff 529RLKS 36'6" fifthwheel
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
19.5 Rickson wheels with Michelin XZE tires
Air lift bags with 72000 wireless onboard air
Hellwig Big Wig rear sway bar
Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks
Torqlift tie downs

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many options, depends on what you want.

Cheap working solution - 2*50 in parallel and PWM Grape 40 with existing wire. Won't cost much and won't give you much, 100W is so very little.

More wattage - scrap 2*50 and install 2*100 or 3*100 in series - OR - single 280W, all with MPPT and existing wire. Not too many people are installing 50W panels now, panels today are cheap and they last longer than RV itself.

A lot of MPPT are limiting max string voltage - true, but half-decent MPPT will have (at least) 100V limit, this is 2*280W = 560W in series.

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is one that is resonable in price with a proven track record. I have had a Tracer controller for 6 years.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lance cheaped out. 12 gauge wire...a buck or two more and could have done 8. Which executive got the one/two dollar bonus?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
go grape
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

red31
Explorer
Explorer
you can get an ios app for the grape solar pwm 40ABT for monitoring not very programable!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Grape-Solar-40-Amp-PWM-Solar-Charge-Controller-with-Bluetooth-GS-PWM-40B...

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
You don't need MPPT for that job. You have the Trimetric 2030, so you could just get the PWM controller that goes with it. Your wiring is not that bad for just 150w.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
A Renogy Rover 20 with Bluetooth module can do that.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...