cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda 2000i Carb Job With Photos Must Read!!!!!

AISURFFISH
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to share a bit of my time and knowledge of the Honda 2000 I generator. I know that this time of year we all want to get things started and dont want to have the hassle of needing our Honda and having it not work. Here is a 30 minute fix up that will get you going.
This is a simple Carb cleaning and maintenance.
First empty old fuel by tilting the genny over and getting all of the old stuff out of there.

First remove the side panel

Then remove the Air Cleaner cover. one flat head screw.

Using an 8mm socket remove the 2 nuts and 1 bolt.

Once the hardware is removed pull off the air clean box, intake manifold and the breather tube. These 3 parts can be removed in one big piece. You can see where the breather tube goes in photo below.

The breather tube runs into the engine body here.

All 3 parts removed and set aside.

First remove the fuel line.
Slide the Carb off of the two bolts that will remain in the block of the engine. I like to leave the cable attached. This is the Eco Throttle. If you remove it you will have a spring shoot off and if you do manage to find it you most likely won't figure out how to put it back without a trip to a Honda dealer. It's just easier to leave on.

Front side of Carb.

Engine with the parts removed. This is a good time to drain the oil and fill it back up.

These photos show the position of the vent tubes so you can see where they are form replacing. Go ahead and remove the tubes now. Using a 10mm socket remover the float bowl nut. It's the Brass one seen above in the middle of the float bowl.

You can now see the float. The float pivots on a pin it is simply slid out for removal of the float. The float moves up and down and shuts off the fuel to the bowl. The bowl will most likely show signs of rust and will need a good cleaning. There is an o-ring gasket there, you can usually reuse this gasket.

Here the float have been removed.

The main jet is in the tube shown. Use a skinny screw driver and remove the jet and 2 parts will fall out. These are almost always full of gunk. Use a Carb cleaner in a can and blow these parts out really good. Take extra time this is the heart of the Carb.

These are how the parts go back in. Order and direction is important.

At this point use the carb cleaner and spray all of the inner parts of the float area and spray ino any holes you see. Spray into the holes while moving throttle plates and choke plates. You basically want to exercise all moving parts and get the cleaner into everywhere.
At this point put everything back together on the carb in reverse order and put the vents tubes back on.
Slide the Carb back onto the 2 bolts and then run the vent tubes back into the Genset case. As shown below.

Shown about is the Carb back on with the tubes re-run.

These photos show the bolts going back in and the final steps to getting it back to running order.

At this point you can change the plug and give her a pull!!!

I hope this has been informative.

To those of you that will be attending the Mid Atlantic Truck Camper Rally Just ask and I can walk you though this in no time. And maybe throw in a quick seminar if enough folks are interested in seeing it done.
2017 F350 6.2L Crew Cab

Arctic Fox 990 2021 TORK-LIFT FAST GUNS AND SUPER HITCH
COOLER RACK OFF THE FRONT ALWAYS FULL OF FISHING RODS TICA TO BE EXACT

235 REPLIES 235

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Wrkn2mch wrote:
jim summers wrote:
Is there some carb cleaner that you would recommend using on a regular interval, as a "preventive measure". I have a newer H2000i w/ only 1 hr on it. Would some regular spray cleaner help keep it cleaner-longer ? Also, using this procedure, have you ever chg'ed the jet to a "high altitude" one ? When is that really necessary ? My manual doesn't say. I'm going to S. Utah, Grand CAnyon areas-avg elev 7500". Thnx

My Carb Cleaner of choice is "Sea Foam" you can find it in wally world in the auto dept.... use as directed.
I use it in my gas with all my old snow blowers, generators lawnmowers and cars and i like it. it can also be used in the oil or dumped in the carburetor while running.
Joe

We have traveled and ran our Eu2000i genny clear up to 9500ft many times without changing the jets. The biggest load we ever put on the genny is for the Microwave. We do not have AC. I do run to recover my
Engine power will begin to suffer as you get over 4000ft.
I do run premium gas and exclusive (most of the time) Chevron with techron. The techron keeps the valves and piston top clean.

If I think we are not going to use the genny for a couple of mos I will use a dose of Stabil in the tank, and run the genny for 10 min or so to make sure it gets into the carb.

It's pretty hard to spray Seafoam into the carb while running. I elect not to do that. You can get the kind that you can add to your fuel. Again I elect to use Stabil.

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

Wrkn2mch
Explorer
Explorer
jim summers wrote:
Is there some carb cleaner that you would recommend using on a regular interval, as a "preventive measure". I have a newer H2000i w/ only 1 hr on it. Would some regular spray cleaner help keep it cleaner-longer ? Also, using this procedure, have you ever chg'ed the jet to a "high altitude" one ? When is that really necessary ? My manual doesn't say. I'm going to S. Utah, Grand CAnyon areas-avg elev 7500". Thnx

My Carb Cleaner of choice is "Sea Foam" you can find it in wally world in the auto dept.... use as directed.
I use it in my gas with all my old snow blowers, generators lawnmowers and cars and i like it. it can also be used in the oil or dumped in the carburetor while running.
Joe

jimintomah
Explorer
Explorer
AISURFFISH,
Great instructions! I had the same problem others described and after following your instructions my eu2000i runs like new. I printed the instructions and put them with my owners manaul for future reference. Thank you!
Jim & Kathy & The Dog
2019 Winnebago Adventurer 35F

jim_summers
Explorer
Explorer
`03 Duramax, Nash 25R TT, Equalizer WD

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
RoyB wrote:
When I first got my 2000i a couple of years ago it ran like a top right out of the box... I played with loading it down with lights - heater - etc to see what it would do. It worked great. Shut it down and we went mtn camping the following weekend.

I got all setup and we made it through the first nite on the batteries just fine. The next morning when i was allowed to run the generator for two hours, I got it setup on my tailgate and plugged the camper shore power into the special adapter I bought with the generators - gave it a crank and it started right right up. I had my bean coffee maker all ready jumping up and down making my first morning coffee... Checked my batteries and noticed they were getting some re-charge (not as much as I expected but some) and things were going as planned.

After about ten minutes of running the generator started loading down and finally quit. I cranked it agina and nothing... Took the gas cap off and fuel was ok so cranked it again and it started right up... I just scratched my head and keep brewing my coffee... just alittle bit later (about 5 mins) it started loading down again and quit.

My first thought was bad gas so I dumped my gas and put fresh back in - it would start right up and die after 5-8 minutes later...

A friendly camper came by and said i got one just like yours - it works great. He fiddled with and it would do the same thing. Now I am getting abit nervious. Still got two more camping days and no way to re-charge my batteries..

SO here I am scratching my head and looking sad - mommabear asking whats happening - we need to get some things going...

After about a hour of no luck figuring out what was wrong - looking for something popped loose etc I was about ready to give up..

Then another camper walked up and said you having generator problems - I said yup... He looks at for a couple of seconds and all he said was "hmmmmmm"

Then he reached down the gas cap and flipped a switch on top of the gas cap to "run". He says now try it. It jumps to life again and purred like a kitten... After about ten minutes I knew it was fixed...

Now I am out of my generator time window but I keep it going for a good couple of hours of charge on my batteries...

The camper said "Didnt you read the book?" of course I responded "This comes with a book?" We laughed and drink some good ole fresh bean coffee.

I did have a clue but it didnt click as to what was wrong - everytime I removed the gas cap it would make a loud air hiss noise. I just thought it was due to tank pressuring up when it was running. It was actually air coming into the tank after being sucked out by the motor with the cap switch turned off.

There has to be a moral to this story somewhere...

This is a great generator - wish I had two tied together

We outboard boat guys know all about this problem....hee hee...
When we got our first boat, a 14ft'er, with a 25hp merc, we were out on the Sac river about 10 miles from our trailer, fishing, going down one of the many Sloughs, the motor died. A big cruser was coming, oh crap!!!! There I am cranking....no start....Youngest son of 7 stands there watching.....He asked me the dumbest question, "did you open the air valve on the gas tank?". You know the rest of the story!!!

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

Wrkn2mch
Explorer
Explorer
Roy and Carolyn
I have the same generator/inverter and it is a great item. A tip i got a while back after i let it sit for a few months and it started running rough and needed half choke was to let it run for thirty minutes once a month under a "Load" (ceramic heater etc)with "Eco Off"..... this will keep anything from settling in the bottom of the carb....... this thing will run forever ๐Ÿ™‚
Joe

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I first got my 2000i a couple of years ago it ran like a top right out of the box... I played with loading it down with lights - heater - etc to see what it would do. It worked great. Shut it down and we went mtn camping the following weekend.

I got all setup and we made it through the first nite on the batteries just fine. The next morning when i was allowed to run the generator for two hours, I got it setup on my tailgate and plugged the camper shore power into the special adapter I bought with the generators - gave it a crank and it started right right up. I had my bean coffee maker all ready jumping up and down making my first morning coffee... Checked my batteries and noticed they were getting some re-charge (not as much as I expected but some) and things were going as planned.

After about ten minutes of running the generator started loading down and finally quit. I cranked it agina and nothing... Took the gas cap off and fuel was ok so cranked it again and it started right up... I just scratched my head and keep brewing my coffee... just alittle bit later (about 5 mins) it started loading down again and quit.

My first thought was bad gas so I dumped my gas and put fresh back in - it would start right up and die after 5-8 minutes later...

A friendly camper came by and said i got one just like yours - it works great. He fiddled with and it would do the same thing. Now I am getting abit nervious. Still got two more camping days and no way to re-charge my batteries..

SO here I am scratching my head and looking sad - mommabear asking whats happening - we need to get some things going...

After about a hour of no luck figuring out what was wrong - looking for something popped loose etc I was about ready to give up..

Then another camper walked up and said you having generator problems - I said yup... He looks at for a couple of seconds and all he said was "hmmmmmm"

Then he reached down the gas cap and flipped a switch on top of the gas cap to "run". He says now try it. It jumps to life again and purred like a kitten... After about ten minutes I knew it was fixed...

Now I am out of my generator time window but I keep it going for a good couple of hours of charge on my batteries...

The camper said "Didnt you read the book?" of course I responded "This comes with a book?" We laughed and drink some good ole fresh bean coffee.

I did have a clue but it didnt click as to what was wrong - everytime I removed the gas cap it would make a loud air hiss noise. I just thought it was due to tank pressuring up when it was running. It was actually air coming into the tank after being sucked out by the motor with the cap switch turned off.

There has to be a moral to this story somewhere...

This is a great generator - wish I had two tied together
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
bob_b wrote:
... FYI: I've shopped around for parts and Boats.net has better prices than any others that I could find.
Good source. It should be noted, the same parts list is different on different Vin numbers. My Honda for example is a EAAJ-1164136. The parts catalog for mine is Honda Generator Parts Pre-2001 EU2000I A-A GENERATOR, JPN, VIN# EAAJ-1036878 TO EAAJ-1169999.

I bought my Honda new, on 3/16/04, from Alamia. It is interesting that the catalog says Pre-2001 EU2000I A-A GENERATOR.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

roadtoadflorida
Explorer
Explorer
I do same with my Honda every year. This year it was a bit more difficult. I somehow started tweaking the large-black mixture screw. After all was said and done I set it at 1 3/4 turns out. Any suggestions for factory setting? Its' running but i don't want it to be to rich or lean. Thanks.
RT
Ken and Pat
CB Handle: "Road Toad" Channel 19
2011 Flagstaff 30 FT TT
2015 Ford F250 4x4 Crew Cab
Okaloosa County, Florida

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks for the reply Bob. Sounds like you got a great deal. You were wise to do the prudent stuff and take care of the cycling issue now, before it got worse. That's the common problem of the jet/emulsion tube beginning to clog.

Jim

bob_b1
Explorer
Explorer
bigfootford wrote:
bob_b wrote:
I just successfully finished the carb cleaning thanks to these well documented procedures. It was much easier than I thought. Thanks, Thanks, Thanks!

bob_b, were you having problems with your genny? It would be nice to read the symptom that made you do the teardown.

Did you find any contaminants/junk in the emulsion tube? That always seems where we find the reason for having to leave the choke slightly on to run or warm up.

Jim

I picked up a well-used eu2000i to go with my Companion model. This unit was owned by a contractor. It was really filthy, beat up and the rubber feet were busted off, but the unit ran good and the price was right. Cleaning the carb (and everything else) seemed like a prudent thing to do. I detected a slight cycling of the engine on econ mode, but other than that, there was no real problem.

Upon inspection, there was no dirt or grime at all. I suspect that this carb was cleaned before. I cleaned it anyway. All of the other maintenence items were addressed (plugs, filters, oil, new rubber feet) so that I would have good baseline to start with. I scrubbed everything, sprayed some clear-coat and even bought some new decals for it. The whole generator is now more shiney and runs as good as a new one:D

FYI: I've shopped around for parts and Boats.net has better prices than any others that I could find.
'93 Itasca Suncrusier diesel towing a '05 Honda CR-V.
Bob, Pam(DW), Bridget(DD) and Christine(DD)
See you at most of the Penn State tailgates:)

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
bob_b wrote:
I just successfully finished the carb cleaning thanks to these well documented procedures. It was much easier than I thought. Thanks, Thanks, Thanks!

bob_b, were you having problems with your genny? It would be nice to read the symptom that made you do the teardown.

Did you find any contaminants/junk in the emulsion tube? That always seems where we find the reason for having to leave the choke slightly on to run or warm up.

Jim

bob_b1
Explorer
Explorer
'93 Itasca Suncrusier diesel towing a '05 Honda CR-V.
Bob, Pam(DW), Bridget(DD) and Christine(DD)
See you at most of the Penn State tailgates:)

thataway
Explorer
Explorer
Good write up. I have been using an almost indentical proceedure for about 5 years. I use Stabil, but if I don't run the Honda every few months, there is some gunk in the carb. Sea Foam helps, but in my experience does not prevent it. Shutting down the engine does not drain the carb, as a fuel shut off valve. Also there may still be some residual even with closing the vent.
Bob and Marie Austin
Angel miniature poodle
2007 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40 PDQ
Toad 2012 GM Yukon XL 4 x 4

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
mchero, you can add to this Thread, but I suggest starting a new Thread, unique to the 1000. It would be easier to find in a search, and have it's own identity. It would be a great Thread, and valuable to many RV'ers.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke