cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda 3000 Battery Type

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
Is the Honda 3000 battery maintenance free or does it require water added if needed?
11 REPLIES 11

robert3
Explorer
Explorer
nevadanick wrote:
I know you workmfor Honda but farther back than 4 years ago the battery would be sealed. I serviced a many of em as we sold them and the acid pack was was foil sealed and turned over and pushed onto the battery and the cap strip was then installed and was considered permanent. Yes if they had screw caps then you could and should check them but i don't remember one like that for along time.

You are correct. There were some EU3000is batteries shipped dry, and after the electrolyte was added, the permanent strips were used to seal them forever. Probably they were the last type used before Honda switched over to the factory sealed AGM type. FYI, so far, they have had good service with them. From what I can tell, the AGM style is a better overall battery than the traditional cap-cell type that requires inspection and service.

-Robert@Honda
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is less than four years old. I installed it, as I remember. If I ever buy another battery, I will be sure to buy a Honda AGM battery.

bushman512003
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced My 2004 battery this winter. I think it was $42.00 at a jobber not a Honda Shop but works great...bought a $19.00 battery for the Lawn more at Wally World but think the Gen.is more important. After all no dry camping with the lawn more ha ha Bushman..change to synth.oil in Your 3000 Mine been on it since 1st change..
Keystone 5er Model Cougar 276 RLS ,and all the toys.Enjoying camping,friends, fire. LOL. life is good..John,Jeannette,..From Canada the Queen's Country..Member of IRV2.Com.:B The Bushman EH!
:B

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
I know you workmfor Honda but farther back than 4 years ago the battery would be sealed. I serviced a many of em as we sold them and the acid pack was was foil sealed and turned over and pushed onto the battery and the cap strip was then installed and was considered permanent. Yes if they had screw caps then you could and should check them but i dont remember one like that for along time.

robert3
Explorer
Explorer
Early EU3000is generators were shipped "dry" and included an electrolyte pack. Dealers were expected to fill the battery with electrolyte, charge it, and install into the chassis of the generator when delivering it to customers.

In reality, many were shipped/delivered to customers in unopened boxes. This was a problem for some customers not accustom to safely handling electrolyte and lacking a charger to properly prepare the battery. Of course, the big advantage was the generator could sit in the box indefinitely with no worry about a battery going flat.

Fast-forward a few years, and AGM/factory activated batteries are considerably improved. They can retain a reasonable charge for almost a year in storage. It was decided to change to an AGM battery, as Honda figured the units would rotate through the warehouse and dealerships fast enough that a fully-charged battery would survive and make it to initial retail delivery just fine.

A that was a good 4-5 years ago. So far, its been a good decision.

Short answer: If your EU3000is is less than 4 years old, it's got a factory-sealed battery that requires no top-off of distilled water. If you have an older one, with screw-cap type covers (6 of 'em) then you've got an older traditional battery that should be inspected if you are having battery charging issues.
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
It comes with a sealed battery.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
What will they think of next.... A battery on a Honda EU3000is generator.

Guess it would be neat to have electric start....

PAUL's Maintenance Guide

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Paul. I am guilty of the same thing. I have checked my air filter several times over the last four years and it is still as clean as the day when it was new.

Perhaps that is because I use it in the bed of my truck, rather than on or closer to the ground.

Honda did it right, having a foam pre-filter along with a pleated filter on the 3000.

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is a flooded wet battery. That being said I will add water as often as I add to my car battery. Never. Never ever.

Paul

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
Do not have my manual at the moment. I thought perhaps someone who owns a Honda 3000 might know the answer.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Got owner's manual?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman