cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda EU3000is starting, surging issues...

dieseln
Explorer
Explorer
My 3000 is about 10 years old - over the years i've had to rebuild/clean the carb maybe 2x... at the end of this winter (a bad one) i was having starting issues and occasional backfires.. figured i needed to clean the carb again. Cleaned the carb - still no easy start.
What the heck - i need this gen and i use it a lot - i bought a new carb from Honda (63$).. Installed it - started right up, surged a bit but after 10 minutes it seemed to smooth out quite a bit.
Shut it off - now it will not restart.

Checked gas (new gas), opened drain plug, good flow.
Checked spark: decent blue and white
Sparkplug is new but not a trace of gas or carbon - pure white like new, after previously running for 10 minutes.

Still won't start.

Any insight?
I'll clean the spark arrester tomorrow - but really.. could that do it?
Thanks,
Ken
13 REPLIES 13

MrWizard
yeah, they are put together like the proverbial swiss watch

look up a youtube video of whats needed to work on a Goldwing motorcycle
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

dieseln
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE:
Wow, to replace coil requires a pretty thorough tear down - all the way to motor mounts! Changed coil - runs great! I tested it with most of the body work and shrouds taken off and it still is very quiet... heckuva muffler. Took me almost 3hours for reassembly...

dieseln
Explorer
Explorer
Just picked up a new coil ($8 on amazon!)- will double check low oil sensor thingy too....

@ Mexicowanderer - that's probably what will happen...

might take a day or two but i will report back.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Ten years old and does not consume lube oil?

I would be tempted to do a complete turnaround on the ignition system. The whole enchilada.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'd check for the most obvious first, the associated ignition wiring and the kill switch but it does sound like a coil issue. As a faulty coil is heated it expands and any opened or parted field wiring could become separated so the coil is inoperable.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

dieseln
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for input guys,
UPDATE
I checked Spark arrester (Clean)
I checked and adj the valves - they were very tight..
Put in new spark plug.
Filled oil to max.

It started right up, surge a little... I let it run 4 or 5 min
shut it off (with fuel off, ran dry).

A few minutes later went to start it - no start..cranks fine.
Checked for spark - none, except for once (orange spark)
- i did this check with another plug too.

Coil? ICM? none of it looks too easy to get to..

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't sound, to me like a valve issue. I have one that is 14 years old and has hundreds of tailgating hours. Checked valves, for the first time a couple of years ago and they were still perfect.

I would be more proned to believe it is a fuel issue of some kind.

I never shut mine down except by turning off the fuel unless it's just for a short shutdown.

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
First, adjust your valves, even if they aren't causing this problem, they need checking.

Second (actually first) check your oil. Seriously. I camp with two different people who have to keep their Hondas plumb full or they won't start.
Mine aren't as picky, but theirs are.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

dieseln
Explorer
Explorer
I used the pull rope til it broke - it was easier to get a new battery than digging into the recoil stuff.... typically started very easy.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wow... That's a lot of use, so it could be the valves/spark arrester... I don't run mine hardly at all, so maybe that's the difference? I've used it a couple of times for 36 hours straight (power outage at home) and when I exercise it every couple of months, but that's it for mine.

The battery is dead on it, and I've not replaced it because, well, it starts on the first pull, every time..

Have you checked that you are getting the 3 basic elements for running an engine? Spark, fuel, air? I know that's basic stuff, but the spark and fuel are the usual culprits..

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

dieseln
Explorer
Explorer
Mitch, thanks.
I always used sta-bil however when i drained the tank there was ALOT of water in it. I cleaned the petcock and tank - then put a brand new carb on it today.
I've never adjusted the valves on it.
I've never cleaned the spark arrester.
Will attempt those next.

I use it all winter to power my tractor inline water heater
and all summer on my RV ac..
It's been a great machine but this is getting weird.

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
Adjust your valves. I would bet they are tight.
mm49

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
How often do your run it? Even with 'fresh gas', if it's had gas sit in it untreated for a month or more, that could be an issue..

I always treat my stored gas with Sta-Bil and that's all that goes in my gen and other yard machines that get limited use.

Mine starts on the first pull and it's about 8 years old now. I've never had the carb off of it and I run it about every 3 months or so, or when I think about it..

Sorry I can't help with your current issue, as it does sound like you have a gummed up carb..

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.