cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Horrible smell in coach while driving

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
We'll post says it all and.... It started after I blew passenger duals, ripped through wheel well, floor, propane lines, muffler. I put a post about the damage after I did it end of this August. It's at repair shop parts are in and repairs will begin but I get a vague response when I ask about the smell. He said something about checking a diaphragm bit I'm not familiar with what he is talking about.
8 REPLIES 8

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
read what?
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know were your sewage bay is located on your coach...but on mine the sewage bay was behind the rear duals. Blown rear tire took out just about my entire sewage bay. :R

That blown tire could have hit the black tank too. Which with what you described all it did hit. It would be hard pressed to think it didn't hit your tanks too!

You could have a real small crack on the underbelly of the black tank or even the y pipe coming out of it.

Check for hairline cracks around the screws that hold the valves on. That's where I found my leak from the tire blow out.

I found all it takes is just a few drops of water coming out of the black or gray tank to smell inside the coach.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Lol yikes she's gonna read that

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
CJW8 wrote:
What does it smell like?

Probably my wife's cooking
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Ahh ok. That makes sense. When the tires let go it was a big jolt. Suppose could've knocked something loose inside.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the gray tank CAN smell almost as bad as the black.

If the smell is near a sink, assume there is water in the P trap.

If so, next suspect is the air admittance valve. Replacements from most box stores.

To test(while not using the sink): Put a zip lock bag over the air admittance valve, zip tie it tightly and see if the small is still there after a couple of hours. If that "cures" it, just replace it. The rubber diaphragms can dry out and leak that smell inside.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Like the black tank. Smell seems to get worse near sink. Smell not as bad in bathroom. Can't imagine gray tank smelling like that.
The ride home after putting on new tires was rough. Taking it to dealer I opened main vent so it wasn't as bad. Smell is worse while driving.

CJW8
Explorer
Explorer
What does it smell like?
2003 Forest River Sierra M-37SP Toy Hauler- Traded in
2015 Keystone Raptor 332TS 5th wheel toy Hauler (sold)
2004 Winnebago Vectra. 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad