cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How can I run both air conditioners?

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
On my HR I have a switch so I can run either the front or the rear air conditioner when on shore power but not both. What is the best way to run both air conditioners at the same time when on shore power? I know that it will involve some re-wiring. Where and how do I re-wire? Thanks for your help.

Miles
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO
16 REPLIES 16

sljkansas
Explorer
Explorer
I have ran both my AC units on my Bighorn (13K and 15K) with a cheater box. The draw back is you have to replace the ground fault outlet with a standard outlet (This is not recommended in most all campgrounds or anyplace else)

I couldn't run much else in the trailer, when both Ac's were running with the cheater box.
Steve & Linda
Son married (1 DIL, 3 granddaughters 1 grandson)
Daughter Married.
Miami Co. Kansas
2004 F350 CC dually 8ft bed 6.0 PSD
2009 Bighorn 3670RL
B&W under bed hitch with 18k companion hitch

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
How I run 2 A/Cs from 30 amp.
The second set of leads from the generator is for the second A/C only. With the addition of the duplex and plug, I can run a extension cord to the pedestal's 20 amp duplex.

Richard

95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

I fail to see why this "safe rv" is any better than simple male and female plugs. I have two auxiliary shore power cords.

Well Piano.... WE HAVE AGREEMENT.. almost, well close enough.

The "Safe RV" device includes its own circuit breaker as I recall and technically that makes it safer.. I'm not sure how much. Read on.

Of course the outlet I plug into has a circuit breaker (Same size) so do I really need the added hardware?

It also uses a complex "Transfer" system, Not sure if Auto or manual, which can fail.. unlike the KISS plug/socket system I use. Which can not fail (Well the plug and socket can fail, and eventually will, but I've fixed those before and will again.)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I fail to see why this "safe rv" is any better than simple male and female plugs. I have two auxiliary shore power cords.

Lantley wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
So with this device can you have both the OEM and auxiliary shore power cords active at the same time?

Lantley wrote:
Check out safe RV power. This transfer switch is designed to do exactly what you want. I just installed one on my fiver

Safe RV power transfer switch

Yes, essentially it switches the A/C circuit from standard circuit breaker feed to auxiliary 20 amp pedestal power feed
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You have a 30 amp RV it seems.> The best way is to upgrade to 50 amp, both RV and Site, but there is an alternate that MIGHT work

I will draw a lazy man's line drawing of power to one of the A/Cs.. Traditionally this is the Rear A/C.

{bunch of stuff}------Power lead to A/C-----{A/C}

New line drawing

{BOS}-------{Socket}{Plug}----{A/C}

now,, often on a 30 amp Motor home you can find the spot where you splice in the plug/socket in the generator connection box.. Or the Auto Transfver Switch, eitehr location if you have a motor home with a generator and the genny runs both at once. ON a trailer.. You will have to find it

How to do it:
Normal Plug plug into socket and it's just like it is now
30 amp site: Unplug and using a 12 ga Extension cord (See note) Plug into the 20 amp outlet in the park pedistal.

Possible issues:
Some parks may object.
At least one park I park at every site has its very own circuit breaker, If it is a 50 amp site it's a 50 amp breaker, 30 amp gets a 30 amp breaker.. So if you try this you will trip the site breaker back at the power distribution panel, which you do not have the key for. So you got to go to management.

NOTE: on the extension cords.. I Like the ones sold by Sears and K-Mart that have the push button on the outlet you need to push to plug in or unplug.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
pianotuna wrote:
So with this device can you have both the OEM and auxiliary shore power cords active at the same time?

Lantley wrote:
Check out safe RV power. This transfer switch is designed to do exactly what you want. I just installed one on my fiver

Yes, essentially it switches the A/C circuit from standard circuit breaker feed to auxiliary 20 amp pedestal power feed
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

MrWizard
at the switch to choose A/C

disconnect the wiring for the second a/c, run that wire to another junction box
attach to an external 20amp cord to plug into the 20amp outlet at the power pedestal
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II

Lantley wrote:

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Lantley, Miles.
Miles and Darcey
Denver, CO

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad

19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler, could you give me some kind of diagram and a suggestion for which transfer switch to buy? Thanks, Miles
Miles and Darcey
Denver, CO

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Fleetwood had the same arrangement in 89. I added a heavy duty transfer switch in the generator compartment where power comes off the generator for the other side of the line. I ran a 20 amp line to the power source. With the 20 and 30 amp plugs the RV still thinks it is on the generator. Fairly easy mod.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most RVs that let you run both are 50 amp. The thing about 30 vs. 50 amp is that a 30 amp service is a single 30 amp circuit. 50 amp is actually 2-50 amp circuits for a total of 100 amps. My older Dometics draw about 18 amps each. No way to run both on a 30 amps hookup.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox