cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do solar panels handle hail?

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I'm dipping my toe into the solar pool. I am starting with a modest system but a bit concerned about hail. I'm thinking of building some sort of covers to put over them if a hail storm is expected.

Is this necessary or am I worrying about nothing?
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB
26 REPLIES 26

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
FLY 4 FUN wrote:
mine say rated for 1" hail at terminal velocity. At that size my rv roof, vents and the truck will all be destroyed....so have no concerns over my panels with all but the worst hail.

This is such a true story, last thing I'm worried about is my panels.
05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Pea sized hail here, last night. The 235 W module, tilted, just got rinsed.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Hahahahahahahahahaha

Try a 10 lb green coconut falling from 30'

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
mine say rated for 1" hail at terminal velocity. At that size my rv roof, vents and the truck will all be destroyed....so have no concerns over my panels with all but the worst hail.
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Like I wrote earlier

There's hail

Then there's

HAIL!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XeTqp_HRIs

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
Hey Mex, nice set up you have there. Do you share it with the neighbors?

Sheesh. One of my neighbors "accidentally" acquires my hens. So using corn, rice, sunflower and squash seeds as a lure I "accidentally" clean their hen house clock. I could just imagine solar panels "with legs".

The Kyoceras atop Quicksilver are secured with 1/4" stainless "security Torx" screws and red Loctite.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
They tell us that Denver is the hail capital and we have lots of solar here. A few years back we had a storm that took out roofs, siding, windows, damaged cars and even got our trailer totaled. I couldn't find any damaged panels.

So it if will go through the windshield of your car, it will damage your panel too. Please don't build covers and risk injury trying to protect your panels. What it takes to harm your panels will kill you.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
SolarWorld has the best panels for hail impact. They're called 'Protect', or 'SolarWorld Sunmodule Protect''series.

I have their 275 watt version on my hauler. They're 'Glass-Glass' technology, a 2mm glass front laminated to a 2mm rear glass.

Here's a video clip
05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Im wondering if permanently mounted cover made of Lexan for example,would affect solar panels productivity??
Im guessing not..
Depending on thicknes Lexan should protect them nicely..

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hey Mex, nice set up you have there. Do you share it with the neighbors?

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
To meet the UL rating a solar panel must withstand a 1" ice ball at 70 MPH. So, anything up to that you should be good.
One of our installations was subjected to "baseball size hail" last summer. It damaged 32 panels.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
YEAH BABY!

HOME

SWEET

HOME

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Solar is only practical if mounted in your LIVING ROOM and ALL bed rooms are filled with batteries and control equipments. lol
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
This occurred in Alberta, Canada...

That will buff right out!

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K