cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How do you sanitize your fresh-water tank and lines?

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
The instructions that came with our rig use a lot of water. In scarce-water Colorado we do not want to use more than necessary. How do you do yours?
46 REPLIES 46

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
I use sodium dichlor 1 teaspoon per 100 gallons. No bad taste or smell.
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
Bobbo wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
ya and I am not seeing that phrase anywhere following the links you sent. wonder what's going on.

toedtoes wrote:
What does sanitizing your waste tanks have to do with sanitizing your fresh water tank? I think for most of us, we don't put poop in our fresh tanks. And a product that breaks down poop is probably not going to kill mold.

Somebody found a link to the wrong product and didn't realize it was for the black tank instead of the fresh water tank.

haha the only one I didn't look at
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
The one you linked to is for black and gray tanks. None of them state they are or frest water tanks. And again, what works to break down/cleangray and black tanks is not going to do anything for mold/algae in a fresh water tank.

Yes. That is exactly what I said when I posted it originally.

1. There was a discussion of fresh water tank treatment.
2. Someone posted that the ingredients of the product they found were "viable non pathogenic bacteria suspension" and asked how that worked.
3. Others posted that they couldn't find that product.
4. I found that product and posted it so everyone would know what he was talking about.
5. Someone posted that he couldn't find where it said it was for the septic system, or where the MSDS said "viable non pathogenic bacteria suspension."
6. I then posted focusing on "septic system" and "viable non pathogenic bacteria suspension."
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bobbo wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
ya and I am not seeing that phrase anywhere following the links you sent. wonder what's going on.

toedtoes wrote:
What does sanitizing your waste tanks have to do with sanitizing your fresh water tank? I think for most of us, we don't put poop in our fresh tanks. And a product that breaks down poop is probably not going to kill mold.

Somebody found a link to the wrong product and didn't realize it was for the black tank instead of the fresh water tank.

The one you linked to is for black and gray tanks. None of them state they are or frest water tanks. And again, what works to break down/cleangray and black tanks is not going to do anything for mold/algae in a fresh water tank.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
StirCrazy wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

Bobbo and Lin

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
ernie1 wrote:
Captain Phab contains "Viable non pathogenic bacteria suspension". What's that? How does it work?

All it means is they are using bacteria to break down waist components in the septic tank treatments, and that the bacteria are not harmful to us, only the waist components. kind of like the ones they use to break down oil.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
https://www.captainphab.com/shop/portable-water-treatments/purge-tank-cleanser-for-portable-water-st...

This is the one referenced. I see nothing regarding sanitizing, only odor control. The price looks right.:)
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
Bobbo wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
ernie1 wrote:
I googled Captain Phab.

I even searched for that phrase and couldn't find it. send me a link so I can look at it, I'm suspecting it's not the potable water treatment you're looking at, but still interesting

This is the product that has "viable non pathogenic bacteria." This is for the black tank. The bottle even says it is for the septic system.

Captain Phab Advanced Enzyme Holding Tank Treatment

And, here is the MSDS.

MSDS

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
StirCrazy wrote:
ernie1 wrote:
I googled Captain Phab.

I even searched for that phrase and couldn't find it. send me a link so I can look at it, I'm suspecting it's not the potable water treatment you're looking at, but still interesting

This is the product that has "viable non pathogenic bacteria." This is for the black tank. The bottle even says it is for the septic system.

Captain Phab Advanced Enzyme Holding Tank Treatment

And, here is the MSDS.

MSDS

Bobbo and Lin

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
ernie1 wrote:
I googled Captain Phab.

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
TechWriter wrote:
According to Captain Phab's MSDS, it contains between 80 - 100% sodium percarbonate (aka "oxygen bleach").

So that other 20% is anybody's guess.

However, since Captain Phab can go as high as 100% sodium percarbonate, then you would save a lot of money by just buying generic:

- Captain Fab, 450g (about 1 pound) = $39.85

vs

- Sodium Percarbonate (10 pounds) = $49.95

if you download there MSDS sheet the rest is composed of different acids, which because they are not listed on the MSDS lets me know they are most likely food type acids. I thought about getting it bulk, but it isn't worth it, one container does both my 5th wheel and my camper for two years. so, it costs me 5 buck a cleanse. If I am going to cry about that I should probably sell my rv's as I use more than that in toilet paper in one trip.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
According to Captain Phab's MSDS, it contains between 80 - 100% sodium percarbonate (aka "oxygen bleach").

So that other 20% is anybody's guess.

However, since Captain Phab can go as high as 100% sodium percarbonate, then you would save a lot of money by just buying generic:

- Captain Fab, 450g (about 1 pound) = $39.85

vs

- Sodium Percarbonate (10 pounds) = $49.95
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
I googled Captain Phab.