cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How hot is HOT

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
Ford v10 (v8,v6) when water temp reaches a certain temp, half of the cylinders shut down into limp. What is the actual temp in degrees that this occurs?
26 REPLIES 26

DRTDEVL
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
The American Consumer, epitome of forgiveness...

Or is it sloppy not give a ****?

Neither. The american consumer is the epitome of "run to the dealer under warranty if something isn't 'normal'."

So the engineers made the gauges read "normal" at almost all times.

Do you know the amount of forum posts I have seen across all makes where someone asks "my temp gauge usually reads just below this tic mark on the gauge, but today it began reading on that tic mark... what do you think is wrong with my engine?"

Nope. We'll just call it "normal" and everyone will b happy, right? Well, everyone who doesn't care about the technical side... those of us wanting actual answers need to use a scangauge or install a second set of gauges that give us the actual information we seek.
Resurrecting an inherited 1980 Minnie Winnie 20RG from the dead after sitting since 1998..

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Ahh yes C & H

My toad spews anti-freeze between the end of the meter sweep line and AITCH

And when I turn the key to "ON" the engine successfully turns over and starts at when the volt meter is showing seven volts.

Never checked to see but this must mean the oil light would come on sometime after the engine is shut off.

The American Consumer, epitome of forgiveness...

Or is it sloppy not give a ****?

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
Well the obvious answer is yes. But as many of them are, they measure resistance and display somewhere between C and H. As you may or may not know, a scan gage can be programed to display coolant temp in degrees. So my rather simple question was at what temperature IN DEGREES does a fail safe operation occur? As someone stated around 265. I did find a pic of a gage that was stenciled as 265 on the H side. Didnโ€™t show the make of the vehicle though.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Excuse the obvious question, but don't you have a temp gauge?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
I don't know but I believe it should be close to 265F maybe a bit more.
I would concur that it is over 250F.

Still not boiling because the system is pressurized and the 50/50 coolant mix also raises the boiling point.

Not concerns about blowing head gasket or warping heads. That is why they cut back the power.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Deja Vu all over again, for nostalgia's sake?

Ahh, the good old days...
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Deja Vu all over again, for nostalgia's sake?

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
tarnold wrote:
Currently not a problem, just watching the scan gauge and wondering what temp action should be taken.
At what point does the gauge begin to move above the virtually stationary 'normal' position?

I have only seen my gauge move slightly above normal 'stationary' position a few times. Goes right back down when I slightly reduce power.

Blog on trans temp vs the gauge.

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
Currently not a problem, just watching the scan gauge and wondering what temp action should be taken.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
At those temps your flirting with warped heads and blown head gaskets.
Don't be worried about limp mode, worry about keeping the temps down what ever you have to do.
Sometimes you have to pull over and stop if you cannot keep temps in check.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know the actual number, but have experienced it. Don't wait it to happen again.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I don't know but I believe it should be close to 265F maybe a bit more.