cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How long did/are your House batteries last? Survey.

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of posts over the last few months about how long house batteries are lasting. Also lots of claims that one battery type will outlive another battery type. So how about a non scientific bit of feedback from us all?

Suggest you answer with:

Battery Type = (Wet, AGM, Lithium, Other)
Brand/Size = (Trojan 6V GC2 T-105. Or Deka 12V 8D. Or Sam's 6V GC2. Etc.)
Bank Size/AH's = (X's 4/440AH. Or X's 6/660AH's. Etc.
Age = 6 years replaced. Or 6 years still going.
Extra Info = Nothing. Or - Blew it with undercharging. Or - Frequent drops below 50% SOC. Etc.

For sure not scientific, but might see trends.

TIA for those that share,
Smitty
20 REPLIES 20

Smitty77
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate the group info sharing. Interesting the years of usage, some remove batteries for longer term non use, some use Battery Tenders.

And some also shared the actual chargers in their units. In hindsight, that would have been good info sharing. And of course, soo many variables, even it say three people were using the same Magnum MSxxxx - the devils of the details of how they're set up for hook up wise, as well as setup parameters - would be also needed to be meaningful for comparison.

Thanks for the info sharing, and best to all,
Smitty

Note: Magnum MS2812, now on Custom setting for Lifeline's newer slightly higher Float voltage. I'm currently using 4 hours to end the Absorb cycle. Also have a MidNite Classic 150 being fed by 1200W of solar. Same settings as the Magnum on voltages, but using Ending Amps appropriate for out House Bank Size to close down Absorb...

EdTheEdge
Explorer
Explorer
Battery type =wet
Brand = Harris deep cycle
Group = 27
AH= 60
Age = 5 years
Other= used the heck out of that battery and it decided to retire. Replaced with a Duracell group 31 105AH
HaRVey - 2013 Thor Chateau 22e

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
2x Duracell GC2s (wet)
10 years old, but showing their age. Probably replace this year.
PD 9145w/wizard for maintenance,
but a separate 9260 for fast charge when on the APU when dry camping.
Electric refrigeration ^ that is why....
Bogart Trimetric to watch over them.
Make up water from the dehumidifier only.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Battery Type = Wet
Brand/Size = Napa Marine 12v Group 31
Bank Size/AH's = 2 x 110 a/h
Age = 4 years, still going strong.
Extra Info = Almost never discharged below 50 percent. Alway on a Batteryminder when not in active use. Specific gravity and water levels checked regularly. I don't equalize because I don't have a charger that will put out voltage higher than 14.

And someone mentioned that we should stop fussing about the batteries. For some of us, this is part of the fun! Taking care of the equipment, seeing if we can consume fewer resources, brushing up on our amateur technical skills, etc. It's not work -- it's entertainment.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
8 years and still ticking.

i disconnect and keep a maintainer on it when not in use.

ericsmith32
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting.. pulled out the 12v deep cycle at five years. Typically I replaced batteries at 5 years. But looks like the 6 volt GC's are good for 10!
2005 Jayco Escapade 28ZSLP (3500 Chevy chassis)

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
Got 13 yrs out of 8-T105s finally 1 died and froze the other's dropped to 3 volts before I caught them this past winter. Putting Rolls 6 volt back in.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
2 no-name 6 volt GC's
Wet
10 yers
replaced as they were only able to supply about 70% of rating.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
deleted
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two 12 volt Group 29 Interstate AGM deep cycle wheel chair batteries replaced after 8 years just in case ... I figured 8 years was long enough.

They were replaced with two 12 volt Group 31 Fullriver AGM deep cycle batteries, 115 AH each.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
first set of Trojan T-125's 12 years, discharged down to 25% SOC around 30 or more times/year, 50% another 30 times/year
Second set of trojan T-125's, only 8 years old, seeing less discharges than the first set, but still have SG close to new
My set of 4 Trojan T-125's on my big trailer, 7 years old, see 100+ charge discharge cycles/year down to 50% or less still going strong,

All are flooded cells
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

MrWizard
my previous set in the safari (4) AGM 540 Amphrs total
5 years 'full time' everyday use and charge
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
Group 29 Walmart Deep Cycle EverStart battery. Always disconnected when in storage. Never perform any kind of maintenance. 7 years.

Steve
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
Battery Type wet

Group 29 Marine jars from Walmart purchased in 2005 but not in use until 2009 once a year maintenance charge. Intended use, adult electric trike

Bank Size 875 amp-hours

Use Age closer to 8 years shorted plate in one jar (from 2009 to 2016) Rotten egg smell.

used to power roof air, cooking, water heating PUSHED HARD

first four years part time RV occupancy majority of charging done in storage via solar panels.

2013 moved to full time. Batteries replaced in August 2016 with used telecom jars.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.