cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How long do you allow your Generator to run?

Campncouple
Explorer
Explorer
How long do you usually run your generator? We have been having such hot weather that we turn it on while mornings are cooler but we notice that after several hours it will shut down.DH feels it gets too hot.
Have any of you experienced this problem?
Thank you for your time.
15 REPLIES 15

westend
Explorer
Explorer
campncouple wrote:
We have just brought home 2002 Damon Intruder.
The above posted on 8/23/15
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Still not clear what type of generator we are talking about.

Make/Model/Rated wattage and what you are trying to run would be helpful.

As others have said, there should be no problem running it pretty much continously.

As above - more info would help..:@

~

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Usually 1/2 to 1 hour for exercise 1st of every month.

WHEN NEEDED.. (For example when on the road in hot weather) as long as needed.

When powering a Ham Radio Field day.. 25 hours

When powering house during a power fail.. As long as needed or 3 days (IF gas tank is full) whichever comes first.. After 3 days I need to re fill tank.

Onan generators are designed for the long haul.. They can easily handle runs lasting several days or even weeks. I knwo many folks who run 'em 12 hours a day every day from like May through September (They sell Soft Serve ice cream from a truck) First ONAN I ever worked on was so employed.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
11-days after hurracan Daniel for the Kubota 6 cyl. The Yamahahahahaha Kubota 3 cyl. ran for three months except for oil changes. 24/7, 90+ days.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
When exercising, 2 hours.

When using, as long as needed. Days if necessary.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I've run mine for 3days straight. No problem.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Still not clear what type of generator we are talking about.

Make/Model/Rated wattage and what you are trying to run would be helpful.

As others have said, there should be no problem running it pretty much continously.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Campncouple
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all. The cover is not original to the unit. It was replaced at rv center with a cover from a propane unit and ours is a gas unit. Is there any difference? Do you think this could be the problem? They told us it was not original but replaced because other cover was missing. It cools fine but will turn off after awhile .
You all are so helpful. Cannot get to our Service Center until Oct. 1. The cover was put on at the RV
Garage where we bought unit. Due to being used...no warranty.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Is this an RV designed Genset or an aftermarket stand alone Genset? RV Gensets should NEVER shut down due to heat if all of its parameters are to spec and it is installed to spec in the RV. Some are water cooled (Diesel) and some are Air cooled(usually Gasoline). Doug

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
joebedford wrote:
Don't take the cover off - at least if it's an Onan. They rely on the cover to duct cooling air.

I assumed Mex was referring to the outside panel/door that is typically installed (as part of the motorhome chassis), rather than the access hatch on the generator unit proper. In some cases opening that panel and aiming a fan in might make a noticeable enough difference.

It wouldn't hurt to check the engine cooling fan, air louvers, radiator (if water cooled), etc. for leaves, mouse nests, and general debris and clean out any that you find.

(As for how long I run my generator for, it depends mainly on what reason I am running it for. It runs longer when I want to use the roof air conditioner than when I want to heat up something in the microwave or top up tires with an air compressor.)

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
My Onan 4000 has a warning label that states over heat damage can occur if the unit is operated with the service panel removed.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Don't take the cover off - at least if it's an Onan. They rely on the cover to duct cooling air.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 7.5kw diesel Onan in the front of our MH has run just fine for over 12 at a time in 100* + temps.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
They are air cooled and shouldn't shut down. Make sure oil level is OK. Don't know which generator you have. Some of the Onan gas generators have fuel pump over heating problems. My fuel pump was changed out under warranty. The generator will also shut down if your gas tank gets low so you won't run out of fuel. Does it throw an error code?