cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to Replace AC Compressor on GM 8.1 Vortec.

Profcadd
Explorer
Explorer
I am about to replace the Compressor on the above Subject. This is on a 2008 Itasca Latitude 39W UFO gas pusher with the Workhorse UFO R26 chassis.
Has anyone done this themselves? Perhaps you have detailed DIY instruction and illustrations?
Retired Professor of C.A.D.D
2008 Itasca Latitude 39W Gas pusher with GM Vortec 8.1 L & Allison 6 speed.
In Tow: 2016 Chev Equinox LT. Blue Ox tow bar, Patriot braking etc.
Companion: My Wife Rita
7 REPLIES 7

Profcadd
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your posts. Special thanks to OldWizard1. Your info is what I needed. Thank you.....
I have the new compressor sitting here in its box. lol

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Profcadd wrote:
System has been evacuated. AC professional will charge system after I install the new compressor. I am just trying to find detailed info on removing/replacing the unit.

I just did one on an E150. Many place will recommend you replace the receiver dryer/accumulator, the orifice or TXV and even the condenser. This "shotgun" approach is a total waste of time and money IF the system was holding a charge and proper diagnostic indicate just a bad compressor. (Normal low side pressure and low high side pressure)

It is literally, remove the bolts, remove any O-rings, using a graduate cylinder (like from science class) measure the amount of oil inside the old compressor.

New compressor come with some oil in them (enough for testing). Pour that out and then add the amount of oil that was originally in the old compressor. Lube the new O-rings.

Bolt it in. A "complete" kit including the above mentioned parts (I did install the receiver dryer just because it was pretty easy) except for the condenser was under $200 from Rock Auto. UAC is a major supplier of aftermarket A/C components and the quality appears to be good.

Not your vehicle, but it shows all of the steps Remove and Replace an A/C compressor

EDIT : I did some research and finding the correct compressor might be difficult. I would suggest contacting UAC and telling them what you have. Remember that chassis was a Chevrolet P30. Once you get a UAC part number, you can look it up on Rock Auto. It should be under $150

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Technically the job is no different than on a Pick Up truck. Remove the serp belt. Disconnect the lines (Single bolt on top of the compressor if I recall correctly) disconnect the wire(s) and then unbolt it.

Practically. I don't bent in the ways needed to get at all the bolts so I pay a pro to do the job.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
If you have to ask then maybe you should look for a youtube video to see what you are getting into. Even if it isn't the same vehicle, just so you have a better idea. The last time I changed a compressor I replaced the dryer as JoeH suggested, but also the refrigerant control as the instructions I got for the job. The job went well, with a bit of labor, but then I am a HVAC/R repair technician with the right tools, and many years working on residential HVAC/R systems.

As ScottG says, "There are no shortcuts" and you could end up with more problems down the road.

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
I leave the AC work to the guys that have the tools, but you should also replace the dryer while you are at it.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Profcadd
Explorer
Explorer
System has been evacuated. AC professional will charge system after I install the new compressor. I am just trying to find detailed info on removing/replacing the unit.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Do you have the tools and equipment to disconnect, evacuate and charge the system after replacing the comp?
It can be a DIY project but there are no shortcuts to having the right stuff to do it.