cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to seal a screw hole in vinyl flooring?

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just did a mod. underneath one of the dinette seats for storing shoes in an otherwise dead/unused space. I removed a section of 3/4" x 1" wood attached to the subfloor with a #8 screw.

Wondering if there is a simple & inexpensive method to seal the hole? Don't really want to use seam sealer as the kits are something like $30. Seam sealer would be the correct choice I believe and am not sure if there is another product that will work. Don't want to make it look worse, don't want something that will turn white and not sure I want to use silicone.
12 REPLIES 12

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Happy Prospector wrote:
Silicon worked great for me.

Yep, worked 30 years in building maintenance and this is the way small screw holes in lino and vinyl were always repaired.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
westend wrote:
Any epoxy or vinyl adhesive will fill the hole. If you have a flooring store close, I'd check prices for seam sealer. Without the applicator, the refill bottles won't break the bank. You won't need the applicator.

I did check a couple of flooring supply shops and all they have are the complete seam sealer kits that are like $30 a pop. Geez, I just remembered DW has a cousin who is a floor layer. Forgot all about him as haven't seen him for a long time. Will have to ask him.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Any epoxy or vinyl adhesive will fill the hole. If you have a flooring store close, I'd check prices for seam sealer. Without the applicator, the refill bottles won't break the bank. You won't need the applicator.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
Silicon worked great for me.
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
Nail polish.

Thx for the suggestion. Did a test but it came off too easily. Tried nail polish remover and didn't work. According to google, PVC cement *might* work but I don't have any left and it's too expensive for a little test dab. May settle for the pool repair kit.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Nail polish.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Matt_Colie wrote:
Myred,

If it is vinyl, go and get a Pool Toy Patch kit. That will have vinyl cement in the kit. Hammering the holes closed is a good idea, but if the remaining hole is kind of large, cut a little of the provided material and roll it to form a plug and use the glue on that.

You can do a pre-test by putting just a little of the glue someplace hidden. If it attacks the material and makes a mess of it, that is the right stuff.

Matt

This sounds like a good idea and are available for around $5. Have a few scrap pieces to test it on. Would be good to know if it works in case there's ever another need in the future.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Myred,

If it is vinyl, go and get a Pool Toy Patch kit. That will have vinyl cement in the kit. Hammering the holes closed is a good idea, but if the remaining hole is kind of large, cut a little of the provided material and roll it to form a plug and use the glue on that.

You can do a pre-test by putting just a little of the glue someplace hidden. If it attacks the material and makes a mess of it, that is the right stuff.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
What Bumpy said.

A dowel or 2-3 wooden toothpicks, whittle down so that it would go in when tapped lightly with a hammer. Wet the hole and dowel with plain old white carpenter glue, or any paper/school glue. Hammer it in, cut off the excess. Done.

Being #8, you will hardly notice this plug even without sanding.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
do not use silicone. put a short length of wooden dowel in the hole and finish with something that can be sanded and painted. this is under the dinette seat, why worry about it?
bumpy

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I have a set of leather punches similar to these in my tool box. (have no idea where they came from).

I would probably just grab a 'plug' of the matching vinyl from an out of the way location like under a cabinet and cram it into the hole with some glue to hold it in place.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it is lino, give the hole a couple of lite hammer blows to smooth down the ridge then put on a small dab of silicone. Have used this method and it works great.