cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

how would you go about making refrigerator door shelves ?

rfuerst911sc
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a used Dometic RM 7401L absorption refrigerator for a good price and it works great. However it was missing the three door shelves. I've done a fair amount of internet searches, emails and phone calls with zero luck finding any in the U.S. they may be available in England. The door has little rectangular male pins for lack of a better description that allow the shelves to be adjusted for height. The main shelf is the bottom which normally holds beverages, the middle has less depth than the bottom and the top one from what I can tell is used for things like eggs or small items. So if you had to make some shelves how would you do it ? I find tons of Dometic shelves on the net that are 17 3/4 " wide but mine measure 15 3/4, can the shelves be cut/narrowed and successfully bridged in the middle ? Or do it on one end ? Open for any suggestions other than replace the fridge.
16 REPLIES 16

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
My TT fridge needed another shelf. After seeing how proud Dometic is of theirs, I made one out of a side panel of a old discarded shopping cart. Painted it to match, and I was even able to match the grommets holding it in place pretty well. Nobody has ever noticed it till I pointed out that it's a little different. Best of all the cost was zero.:B
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

rfuerst911sc
Explorer
Explorer
wittmeba wrote:
Google can be your best friend once you begin using it.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/14954338902490166144?q=dometic+door+parts&client=firefox-nig...

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-refrigerators/dometic-refrigerator-parts.htm

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-refrigerator-parts-1.htm

http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas/USA/RV-Products/refrigerators/Refrigerator-Product-Display/?pro...

https://www.google.com/search?q=dometic+door+parts&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:Mozilla/5....

Oh I found some of the same links you posted and talked to most of them......they have it listed but not available. I just received a quote back from a supplier in England.....$245.00 with shipping ! No way I'm paying that for three shelves. I'll come up with something but appreciate the help.

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
You could check with local RV dealers, I know mine throws the whole box out when they replace and will give away the parts. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
You can mount one of these on the inside of the door.

Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

rfuerst911sc
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
For the prices I'm seeing, I'd cut new ones out of aluminum.

I'm considering that also. To be honest all these have to be is a flat shelve with a right angle end, that right angle end could be screwed/riveted to the end plates of the molded door plastic. But if I can purchase OEM shelves for about $100.00 I will go ahead and buy them. I bought the fridge cheap enough to cover that.

rfuerst911sc
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
have you tried the RV salvage places here in the states. there are about a hundred on the web if you google them.

I tried about six of them no luck. It appears that this model of Dometic fridge was primarily used in Europe. The seller stated this came out of a RV on a Mercedes Benz chassis, I now believe him. Seems like not many of these made it to the states. I have not been able to find anything that says this is equal to xxx sold in the US.

rfuerst911sc
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Have you tried pplmotorhomes?

Yes

westend
Explorer
Explorer
For the prices I'm seeing, I'd cut new ones out of aluminum.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

rfuerst911sc
Explorer
Explorer
haydoracin wrote:
This site indicates they have the shelves you need. Good Luck
www.leisureshopdirect.com

I sent an online order their way I have to wait and see what freight will be. Thank you

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
You could also use a plastic sheet.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Try
Here.
or
Here.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
have you tried the RV salvage places here in the states. there are about a hundred on the web if you google them.

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
This site indicates they have the shelves you need. Good Luck
www.leisureshopdirect.com
Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)