cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

HWH Parts or Support in Quartzsite ?

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
We have friends that just arrived in Quartzsite only to find that the HWH #325 jack/ slide control is on the fritz.

It appears there are no Jacks, and the bedroom slide is very slow. They haven't tried the main slide yet since its now dark. He says that the pump is running but sounds like its pumping against a closed valve.

He thinks its the shuttle valve and will investigate again in the morning, but.. is anyone aware of HWH service or parts anywhere in town if needed, and has anyone run across this and what did you find?

Thanks!
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
8 REPLIES 8

MrLucky1950
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Shuttle valve will NOT cause a problem on the pressure side. ONLY when you are retracting the jacks. The shuttle valve does not involve the slide rooms. It is NOT the shuttle valve. Doug

Unless you are using different terminology that I use, the shuttle valve does affect both the jacks and the slides. The symptoms of a bad shuttle valve are that neither the jacks will go all the way down, nor will the slides go all the way out, and when you try and bring the slides in they wont go all the way in.

Dealing with a bad shuttle valve now.

Paul

MrLucky1950
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
SCVJeff wrote:
I'm getting ready to get on the road but I know he's reading these. Anything is possible, but there is a difference in the way the pump sounds when loaded (he describes it as running against a closed valve), and a weak battery. Besides, he's my x boss: ham, TV and radio Chief, so I'm sure that was the 1st on the list. Having said that I'll call out there in a few and see if i need to bring crimpers, lugs, and/ or splices.

Doug: is there a common return for all those solenoids?

No, The 4 jacks all go thru the Shuttle valve extending and retracting. But, a failed/defective shuttle valve will only cause a problem on retract when there is NOT 3000 psi of pressure. The Slide rooms have their own solenoids (2 for each room). They do not interface with the Shuttle valve. A quick way to find if the shuttle vale is at fault on tha jacks is to crack the exit line loose from the valve and see if fluid squirts out when activating the pump.(messy). I would hook up a pressure gauge here and that would tell me if I had pressure. NOT messy:B I would think Quartzite would have someone there that works on HWH systems. Doug

The shuttle valve does interface with both the jacks and slides. The symptoms of a failed shuttle valve are jacks wont go all the way down, and slides that will go out some, and then not go back in. My shuttle valve failed yesterday as we were setting up. Since I had had this problem a few years ago, I knew the work around which is to take a cap off one of the tees that connects the hydraulic lines to one of the jacks(I took the cap off the drivers side rear jack). Then on the pump manifold there is a u-shaped pipe right above the jack solenoids about quarter inch in diameter. Disconnect the end on the right, and then loosen the other end,and then tip it out of the way, and put the cap that you took from the jack on it. Your slides will then work, but your jacks wont.

Hope this helps,

Paul

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
When we arrived out here on Friday, he had just finished the operation. There were two problems, one was the the control system got stupid and the dump valves were open. But the big deal was a voltage problem on the control board on the input power stud bolt. The copper land burned up around the bolt causing all kinds of misery. Rebuilding that has fortunately cured all his problems but the board took a beating with the fire.
Jeff - WA6EQU

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
SCVJeff wrote:
I'm getting ready to get on the road but I know he's reading these. Anything is possible, but there is a difference in the way the pump sounds when loaded (he describes it as running against a closed valve), and a weak battery. Besides, he's my x boss: ham, TV and radio Chief, so I'm sure that was the 1st on the list. Having said that I'll call out there in a few and see if i need to bring crimpers, lugs, and/ or splices.

No, The 4 jacks all go thru the Shuttle valve extending and retracting. But, a failed/defective shuttle valve will only cause a problem on retract when there is NOT 3000 psi of pressure. The Slide rooms have their own solenoids (2 for each room). They do not interface with the Shuttle valve. A quick way to find if the shuttle vale is at fault on tha jacks is to crack the exit line loose from the valve and see if fluid squirts out when activating the pump.(messy). I would hook up a pressure gauge here and that would tell me if I had pressure. NOT messy:B I would think Quartzite would have someone there that works on HWH systems. Doug

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer

Jeff - WA6EQU

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
Jeff:

When you guys are up in the morning, get out your multi-meter and check the house-batteries while off shore-power. Check voltage first at the battery-terminals and write it down (12.7 volt or less. More is surface charge). Then have him start the engine and get the voltage reading again. The voltage should rise to 14.4 to 15.0 volts if alternator is charging the house-batteries. If not, bad solenoid or connections. It wouldn't hurt to do same to starting-battery.

If he can start the generator, then take reading of voltage at the house-batteries to see he is getting 13.6 to 14.5 volts. If not check the breaker and fuse.

This should eliminate the obvious electrical issues before mechanical issues.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Shuttle valve will NOT cause a problem on the pressure side. ONLY when you are retracting the jacks. The shuttle valve does not involve the slide rooms. It is NOT the shuttle valve. Doug

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Might try the mobile repair guys.

Nearest HWH service center that I know of is in the Phoenix area.

HWH web site lists service centers.

Ps. Sounds like low batteries. Are they running their generator?
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter