cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Matching Generator, Battery Charger, Battery

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Although I'm getting ready to purchase a Yamaha 2000w generator that produces 12v power to charge a battery, the forum doesn't seem to agree that this built-in capability is the best way to accomplish that function. I have a Group 27 AGM battery dedicated to powering a 12v fridge and a separate battery to power lighting, inverter, etc in the trailer. Rather than a dedicated charger/inverter mounted on the trailer I need a stand alone battery charger. Your suggestions as to a charger that would best match the generator's capabilities while being suitable for an AGM battery would be greatly appreciated.
Currently Between RVs
12 REPLIES 12

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! Forgot about the amps vs power thing. Who has a reliable charger?
Currently Between RVs

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi DougE,

Convert to watts.

40a x 14.4 v = 576 watts

13.3a x 115 v =~ 1529 watts

So, no issue at all.

In real life measurements my PD 40 amp does draw 725 watts--but that is running it flat out--still no issues even with a 900 watt generator.

DougE wrote:
There's no issue using a 40a charger powered by a 13.3a generator?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
DougE wrote:
13.3a (120vac)generator will drive about 70a to 90a (12vdc) charger without any issues. 40 amps will be a breeze.

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Currently Between RVs

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I went a different route but subsequently sold the unit to an RV'er who begged me to sell it to him.

6.5 Horsepower Honda horizontal engine. 160 ampere alternator. 3-stage cruising sailboat voltage regulator. Ohmite 30 ohm 50 watt rheostat for over ride.

The engine couldn't quite get up enough oomph for 160 amps so 148 had to do. But when the charge rate decreased as the batteries filled I backed off the throttle. For the last 10% or so, the regulator was bypassed and I rheostated the balance, manually. The rheostat and slowed engine speed also served as as an equalization system.

The buyer went nuts when he saw the system. Offered me a thousand dollars worth of pesos, and a brand new Gold Star window air conditioner unit that he ended up rejecting because running his Onan boondocking was just too expensive.

Now I have the Kubota.

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
While agms are clumped together on this forum as to what charging current requirements should be attempted to be met, if one finds the manufacturer recommendations, one will find a much wider variety. Some want all the amps you can give them, others say to limit bulk current.
Exactly.

Lifeline AGM batteries want 14.4V bulk and adsorption, and 13.3V float at 77 degrees F, minimum bulk current 0.2 x 20 hour AH capacity, maximum bulk current 2.5 x 20 hour AH capacity, in-rush current maximum 5 x 20 hour AH capacity. Time to Reach Full Charge = {(DOD/100) x Rated Capacity (Ah) รท Rated Output of Charger (Amp)} + 2 hours.

Fullriver AGM batteries want 14.7V bulk and absorption, and 13.65V float at 77 degrees F, recommended minimum bulk current 0.2 x 20 hour AH capacity and maximum current 0.35 x 20 hour AH capacity.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
I checked my battery. It is a Group 34 Diehard Gold 775 CCA AGM. My fridge is a chest type (12v or 120v) Edgestar (5.4a @ 12vdc). All batteries are brought up to full charge with a 4.3a Ctek charger before starting a trip. Batteries are connected to a 30a, 10ga power circuit from the tow vehicle battery while traveling.
Currently Between RVs

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
What brand of AGM battery?

While agms are clumped together on this forum as to what charging current requirements should be attempted to be met, if one finds the manufacturer recommendations, one will find a much wider variety. Some want all the amps you can give them, others say to limit bulk current.

Once you find the manufacturer recommendations as to voltages and currents, then specific charger recommendations can begin

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Let's not loose sight of his AGM battery bank. 14.4 might be pushing it too hard. We want fast charging but no gassing voltages.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 on the 12VDC PANEL OUTPUT of most generator sets. I have no idea what the purpose is for the 12VDC panel outputs. You certainly cannot charge a deep cycle battery in a very quick time using this low current DC output panel connector. Keep in mind the rule of thumb to re-charge a deep cycle battery in a quick three hour charge time you will need a regulated source of around 14.4VDC with the capacity of 20 amps per battery. Having less than 20AMPS of DC current per battery available the battery may be recharged but will take many hours to accomplish the charge. This is battery science so not many ways to get around it.

I use my 2KW Honda EU2000i generator to charge my OFF-ROAD Battery bank in two way.

My preferred way is to connect the trailer shore power cable directly to the 2KW Honda Generator 120VAC Panel Receptacle using a RV 30A-15A "DOGBONE" adapter (WALMART). This allows the generator to power up the trailer ON-Board SMART MODE Converter/Charger to recharge my battery bank in a quick 3 hour generator run time.

My alternate way is to plug my portable B&D VEC1093DBD 40AMP Smart Mode battery charger directly to the 2KW Honda Generator 120VAC Panel which will allow me to charge two batteries in my battery bank in a quick three hour generator run time.

This is how I use my 2KW Honda Generator to re-charge my OFF-ROAD POPUP battery banks when camping off the power grid...

just my thoughts

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess any standard car battery charger will do. Is the 12v fridge strictly a '12v fridge' or do you mean it's gas?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

The yamaha genny only does 8.3 amps with an unregulated voltage--that's BAD news for the battery except "in a pinch".

I'd recommend a Vector 50 amp charger. Vector
Regards, Don