cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I messed up removing an evap cooler

SHRED
Explorer
Explorer
My plan was to remove the evap cooler and install a Fan-Tastic fan.
As you can see from the pic I got carried away and accidently tore the aluminum roof on one side.

I have putty tape and Dicor lap seal for the job.

What would you do?

I am planning to install (with screws) and putty tape then I guess I will get generous with the Dicor to cover the mistake?

1995 Lazy Daze 23.5 TK

2021 27' Lazy Daze mid bath
8 REPLIES 8

SHRED
Explorer
Explorer
Came out good.
I laid down a good bead of 3M 5200 fast cure and installed it.
Just to be sure I also used the 5200 around the plate edge.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I would have installed the fantastic, and then oil base sealed any exposed, then Eternabond over it all.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

SHRED
Explorer
Explorer
I ended up cutting a 4.5" x 17" piece of flashing and gluing it down.

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Eternabond.

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Eternabond.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would cover it with Eternabond, not putty and goop.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You get a flat 3/16 aluminum plate just slightly larger than the imprint of the exposed area. You then use Dicor rood sealant and liberally seal the inner edge of the flat plate and use either rivets or flat head screws to anchor the plate. Make sure you cover the existing hole from the inside to prevent Dicor from oozing out and falling down into the interior. The Dicor and screws will glue the plate securely and will not leak and no need for Eternabond. Then from the inside drill 4-- -1/2 inch holes at each corner of the old wood square and then cut your 14 by 14 inch hole in the aluminum plate. You have a good repair that will support anything and you can attach Anything to that plate. If you want after the Fantastic install just use extra Dicor to cover the added plate and nobody will know what you did. Doug

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a good plan