cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic New Generation refrigerators

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
I have recently been dealing with a failing Dometic 2 way refrigerator. I have finally decided I am going to have to bite the bullet and shell-out for a new one. The one I have is the original in a 2002 Bigfoot RV so it is no spring chicken. The model number is RM2652 and in searching for a new one I find that that model is still available but Dometic also has come out with a "New Generation" of fridges that claim to be an improvement and for our model they call out number 3762. What I'm a little suspicious of, is they claim to have upped the capacity from 6 cu/ft to 7 cu/ft but yet it fits in the same cut-out.

I am hoping someone has experience with these new models and can enlighten me a bit on whether they are an improvement or should I stay with the RM2652. The best price I could find for the RM2652 is $1050.00 and the new 3762 is $1300.00. Thanks for any thoughts.
John & Gloria
South West, Florida
2009 Leisure Travel Serenity
25 REPLIES 25

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
Our RM2652 Would struggle in the Texas July and August heat. We went with a 10 cu.ft. Frigidaire residential. DW is very happy . Much roomier and cooling is great.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the part I bought to fix my problem...

John & Gloria
South West, Florida

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
I would have replaced just the cooling unit but the interior of the refrigerator compartment was all yellowed so we wanted to eliminate that.
John & Gloria
South West, Florida

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced the failed 2652 cooling unit in my 2000 Bigfoot in 2014. Went with the Amish new cooling unit and it performs.....33 degrees in 115 ambient in Phoenix. I did add internal fin fans and fans up at the top exit on the roof.

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
The only way to have more interior volume and the same exterior volume is to reduce the insulation volume.

They may be using more efficient insulation

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the exact model, Dometic 2652. I figured that way I was more likely to not need to alter the gas line, Everthing is sure to fit and I can rob lots of good spare parts from the old one that should work on the new one.
John & Gloria
South West, Florida

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Travelin2 wrote:
I just got back from town with a new one. I will unload it in the morning. What gripes me is I think I will have to remove the door frame to get the old one out and the new one in. I'm going to do a little more measuring in the morning.

So which one did you buy?
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
The yellowed plastic is a sign the ammonia leak was inside the box.

AH-HA....I wish I could have bent your ear about 40 man hours ago. One peek inside and you would have sent me to the store for a new one. Thanks for that Chris, it makes me feel like I did the right thing by buying a new one.

I sure am good at putting it in and taking it out now and know what to check if it acts up. I just got back from town with a new one. I will unload it in the morning. What gripes me is I think I will have to remove the door frame to get the old one out and the new one in. I'm going to do a little more measuring in the morning.
John & Gloria
South West, Florida

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
In 2015 I bought a new Dometic 2652 to replace the old failed unit, a 1999 Dometic 2652 with the dreaded ammonia leak. The interior was similar but the plastic adjustable shelving was thinner and a little cheaper quality IMO. Save the older shelves/drawers if you can because they are interchangeable. What made a huge difference for me was getting rid of those older idiotic finger pull door handles and replacing them with newer hand pull/thumb latch handles. They are much easier to open/close.

Other than that, the unit was very similar. The "reduce exterior moisture" switch/function was eliminated. If I remember correctly, it was about $1,300 installed, including tax, in Yuma, AZ.

The freezer runs at 0F and the refrigerator stays at 34F year round, just like it should. No issues so far.

Chum lee

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
RM2652 Dimensions----see pg. 3
Rm2652 Installation Manual

RM3762 Dimensions----see pg. 9
RM3762 Installation Manual

3762 a tad wider--problem or not? Have to remove any outside trim and measure the actual access.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
Travelin2 wrote:
I have not been able to find reference to the fact that the same Ammonia based refrigerant is used or not.

Ammonia based coolant has not changed in 50 years. You might be confusing with the Atwood refers that used Helium. Doug

Those Atwood units still use ammonia as the main coolant (and water to absorb the ammonia); the helium only replaces the hydrogen gas used in traditional absorption fridges. (The purpose of the gas is just to take up space and provide pressure in the right areas so that the ammonia evaporates and condenses as desired; any gas that is nonreactive with and practically insoluble in the water and ammonia would work equally as well.)

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
RM2652 Dimensions----see pg. 3
Rm2652 Installation Manual

RM3762 Dimensions----see pg. 9
RM3762 Installation Manual
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Travelin2 wrote:
That extra space is very attractive. Dometic claims to have gained it by using an improved insulation material. Supposedly it is the replacement for the RM2652 but I can help but think of the old saying about "stuffing 10 pounds of s**t in a 5 pound bag". It usually doesn't turn out well. I'm hoping someone on the board has done this switch and they will know more about the details like whether the gas inlet remains in the same location/orientation so the gas line doesn't need alteration. I have not been able to find reference to the fact that the same Ammonia based refrigerant is used or not.

Ammonia based coolant has not changed in 50 years. You might be confusing with the Atwood refers that used Helium. Doug

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
... This past summer our 12 year old Notcold quit & we faced your same dilemma, and since we like Boondocking & State / Federal Campgrounds we needed a 2 way replacement.... Went with the newer (& larger) Notcold.... Ease of installation without modifications....NOT inexpensive and only went from 9.5 to 10 cubic feet on our model.... Donโ€™t have to worry about door seals leaking on fixing the old one ( or something else failing)...