cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ideas for lifting AC unit to the top of a RV

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
I do not have two strong young people around to lift a replacement AC unit to the top of our RV. The roof is about 11' off the ground and the AC weighs 110lbs.

I do have a 6' high scaffolding to cut the height in half, but pretty sure two 70 year old guys (me and a buddy) could not "press" the 110 pounds 6' at a time.

I need your ideas of how to accomplish this task.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC
41 REPLIES 41

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Gene&Ginny wrote:
deandec wrote:
OP here....
Cost $48
...and nothing for the back doctor. :C

Thanks for letting us know how you did it.

x2
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
deandec wrote:
OP here....
Cost $48
...and nothing for the back doctor. :C

Thanks for letting us know how you did it.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
OP here.

Rented the Material Lift from Home Depot. Two hours to pick it up and return the lift.

10 minutes to lift the AC onto the roof and the old one off.

Cost $48.

I would do it again.
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still spry at 45 yrs old and I swear by using day laborers. They make some bucks, I get stuff done. Winner!

Jose

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
I helped a neighbor at a campground in Florida do the A/C "ladder slide" trick last spring. I pulled while he guided and pushed. Took us about 10 minutes to get it on the roof and another 10 or so to take off the shipping hardware and set it in place. I'm 72 and he was 69 at the time, and we weren't even breathing hard. ๐Ÿ™‚
The only problem with any of these sloping ladder tricks is, when something goes unexpectedly wrong, you or a friend can lose his life. Probably won't happen but would you want to be around for that 1 in a 100? Not worth the risk, rent something designed for the task.

Yeah - at 73, I hire guys to ride my motorcycle now...:R

No risk - but something seems to be missing..:h

Problem is - they are risking *their* lives when they know it all and discover early limey bikes shift/stop on opposite sides of what *they* grew up with.

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill. Plato.

~

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
So this is what I get out of this thread: Go ahead with one pulling and one pushing and slide it up a ladder.

My Advice then is: Just make sure it's your friend on the ladder. On the rare chance that you suddenly get a bad cramp in your leg or something else bad happens it won't be you on the receiving end. That's how most of the posters on here did it.

I am as cheap as they come. I for the life of me couldn't imagine putting my self on a ladder under an air conditioner. Just not going to happen to me. Too many better alternatives. Take the rope and raise up a tree and back under it.

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
Sluggo54 wrote:
mayo30 wrote:
I too wondered about getting it up and the other down.Went to local lumber yard to inquire about a rental of some sort,the manager heard my question and turned and asked his yard man to stop with a buddy to put it on the roof after work on the way home.They showed up and walked it up the ladder,were going to haul the defective one down,but I told them to just throw it off the roof,which they did.Came down refused $50.00 and took enough for a box of beer.end of story 20 mins.Uncrated with shroud off it weighed 89 lbs.

Tell us who and where? Nice guys deserve a pat on the back.

Manager of Home Hardware Candle Lake Saskatchewan.Good people.

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Slid mine up a ladder. Did it myself. No problems.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The only problem with any of these sloping ladder tricks is, when something goes unexpectedly wrong, you or a friend can lose his life. Probably won't happen but would you want to be around for that 1 in a 100? Not worth the risk, rent something designed for the task.

I guess that's possible--death from A/C, but very unlikely. I work by myself every day and have learned what works to move weight and the safety aspects involved. I'd suggest to have two men on top pulling on ropes, sliding the crated/boxed unit up the inclined ladder. We are talking about 100 lbs. and a vertical lift of 10' or so. This is not like building a pyramid.
When I was young, it was two bundles of shingles on the shoulder and climb to the peak of the house. That's 120 lbs. up the ladder and up the roof. I didn't think twice since everyone did it that way. Now, it is all about lifts and the fun is gone. ๐Ÿ˜‰
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
I helped a neighbor at a campground in Florida do the A/C "ladder slide" trick last spring. I pulled while he guided and pushed. Took us about 10 minutes to get it on the roof and another 10 or so to take off the shipping hardware and set it in place. I'm 72 and he was 69 at the time, and we weren't even breathing hard. ๐Ÿ™‚

We take bigger risks than that every time we get behind the wheel or walk down a street. I know my limitations...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Big Katuna wrote:
They weigh 110 pounds.

The "pusher" the "puller" or the A/C unit...:h....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
They weigh 110 pounds.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
deandec wrote:
I do not have two strong young people around to lift a replacement AC unit to the top of our RV. The roof is about 11' off the ground and the AC weighs 110lbs.

I do have a 6' high scaffolding to cut the height in half, but pretty sure two 70 year old guys (me and a buddy) could not "press" the 110 pounds 6' at a time.

I need your ideas of how to accomplish this task.

Pay a professional to do it, or go get two young strong day laborers down at the local Home Depot to do the back breaking work. A back injury at your age, strained or otherwise, is just not worth the risk or loss in travel time, healing back up. Don't be penny wise and pounds foolish.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote: