cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter and TV

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
This weekend I installed a digital TV/DVD in the camper. On AC it worked well, pulledin lots of TV stations and the DVD worked well. However, when I switched to 12 volts I had some problems. I have two different inverters, both I suspect are modified sine wave inverts as they didn't cost much and just plug into the lighter socket.

The 150 watt fanless one played the DVD but the TV had a hard time getting signals. Only the strongest channels came through and the others had pixelation or the TV complained about a weak digital signal.

The 140 watt one has a fan that runs all the time (very annoying). Everything worked fine with it however.

My questions,
- Are some msw inverters better than others? How do you know?
- I suppose I could get a pure sine wave inverter but most of these seem to be overkill as the whole TV unit only draws 65 watts. I was hoping for something small, quiet, and inexpensive.

- bottom line, any recommendations for this situation?

Thanks
16 REPLIES 16

big_whitey
Explorer
Explorer
mena661 wrote:
smkettner wrote:
I recommend GoPower 150w or 300w sine wave. $150 - $180
http://www.boatandrvaccessories.com/gopoin.html

I have and use the 300w. Low idle draw, provision for remote switch, temperature controlled fan that never comes on with my 19" tv/dvd. You can wire it into the 120v circuit with a small transfer switch if you get bored with the connection logistics.
X2, I have a 300W Go Power hard wired to the batteries in a basement compartment. Yellow box is my inverter.

X3 on the 300w go power.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Almot wrote:
smkettner wrote:
No need to disconnect converter if just the branch circuit to the tv is connected. Assuming the converter is a different breaker ๐Ÿ˜‰

Wait a second. These are parallel branches. 120V in any branch will find its way to 120V input of converter, unless you do something to prevent this.

I always assume a transfer switch would be used. Nothing will go backfeeding the main panel if the transfer switch serves one branch circuit.

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
camperguy99 wrote:
I wonder if the problem really is the modified sine wave inverter? Everything worked when plugged into the 120V AC but not the inverter? Where was the antenna getting it's power from. You know the little switch you have to push before you can get any channels? I'll bet the antenna doesn't have any power.

No, the antenna is directly powered by the 12-volt powe system. When turned off I get nothing.

Based on the recommendations here I ordered a 150 watt pure sine wave inverter.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
smkettner wrote:
No need to disconnect converter if just the branch circuit to the tv is connected. Assuming the converter is a different breaker ๐Ÿ˜‰

Wait a second. These are parallel branches. 120V in any branch will find its way to 120V input of converter, unless you do something to prevent this.

camperguy99
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if the problem really is the modified sine wave inverter? Everything worked when plugged into the 120V AC but not the inverter? Where was the antenna getting it's power from. You know the little switch you have to push before you can get any channels? I'll bet the antenna doesn't have any power.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
64thunderbolt wrote:
I have bought 2 300w pure sine wave inverters from "the inverter store" on ebay and they both have performed flawlessly. Very reasonably priced also. TV works just like on shore power.
Great info!!

The Inverter Store Ebay

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
brholt wrote:
This weekend I installed a digital TV/DVD in the camper. On AC it worked well, pulledin lots of TV stations and the DVD worked well. However, when I switched to 12 volts I had some problems. I have two different inverters, both I suspect are modified sine wave inverts as they didn't cost much and just plug into the lighter socket.

I have seen this many times in the forums.. The MSW inverters are very "noisy" electronically, they may have "Harmonics" that extend into the television band but more likely they are hitting the digital decode frequency (What we computer types call baud rate) and interfering with digital decode.

You might be able to filter.. But a True Sine inverter is highly recommended.. AS I TYPE this I'm watching a TV show recorded via a TRUE SINE WAVE inverter.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have bought 2 300w pure sine wave inverters from "the inverter store" on ebay and they both have performed flawlessly. Very reasonably priced also. TV works just like on shore power.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Almot wrote:
SMK, what for is the transfer switch that you mentioned - for disconnecting the converter from 120V?

Transfer switch would allow utility power to flow through when plugged in and use as normal. Then switch to inverter when needed. Transfer switch prevents back feeding the panel and causing a hazard.

http://www.bestconverter.com/Xantrex-Prowatt-SW-Inline-15-Amp-Transfer-Switch_p_457.html#.Ua2BO6fn_L...

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
SMK, what for is the transfer switch that you mentioned - for disconnecting the converter from 120V?

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I second the idea of putting the inverter closer to the battery, and running a small 16 gauge extension cord. With less than 3/4 amp on the cord, the voltage drop is insignificant.

I have not noticed a signal strength problem with either of my inverters, but might check it out next time I am dry camping.

I have a booster, and it seems to get in the weak signals much better.

I use the G3 booster found at this website. http://antennadeals.com/HD2605.html

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:

I have and use the 300w. Low idle draw, provision for remote switch, temperature controlled fan that never comes on with my 19" tv/dvd. You can wire it into the 120v circuit with a small transfer switch if you get bored with the connection logistics.
X2, I have a 300W Go Power hard wired to the batteries in a basement compartment. Yellow box is my inverter.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
brholt wrote:

- Are some msw inverters better than others? How do you know?

You don't. Now that most items are made in China, even with a well known brand there is a risk to get poor MSW, with RF noise or poorly filtered wave.

brholt wrote:
I suppose I could get a pure sine wave inverter but most of these seem to be overkill as the whole TV unit only draws 65 watts. I was hoping for something small, quiet, and inexpensive.

Samlex 120W PSW costs $100 on Amazon. Not sure about "quiet", very few inverters in that range are fan-less and those cost more. Place it closer to battery, ex. in through-storage, then you won't hear the noise. Inverter actually has to be close to battery. You can add a remote switch in the room somewhere, though small inverter can idle 24/7, its idle draw is low.