cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter install question

Okie1
Explorer
Explorer
My fifth wheel has 50 amp service and the converter went out. I would like to replace it with an Inverter/Charger, I was looking at a "Tripp Lite RV750ULHW Inverter/Charger" and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this. I only need the inverter for television and satellite so 750 watts is plenty. I was just wondering if this particular unit would work with my trailer.
2016 F-350 four door Lariat 4X4 long bed & 2012 Sabre 34RLQS...
9 REPLIES 9

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
The Tripp Lite RV750ULHW has a very poor charging algorithm. Once the voltage hits 14.4, it drops back to float instantly. No way to program around the lack of timing.
I have a customer with the RV750ULHW in her RoadTrek and we shut off the converter function and installed a PD9145. Now her batteries serve her well.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

full_mosey
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at the Tripp-Lite(TL) very hard before choosing my two PSW inverters. A while back, you could search 'microwave' on the TL site. Today, 'microwave' is not found.

Today, only the Pure Sine Wave(PSW) model's descriptions include "The DC-to-AC pure sine-wave inverter delivers network-grade power to sensitive electronics.".

Personally, I would seek out reviews from actual users on what sensitive electronics they actually use.

HTH;
John

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Tripp Lite should work very well for you.

Transfer switch may not be rated 50 amps so you may not be able to direct wire in the main feed. Wired on the single branch circuit should be fine.

Okie1
Explorer
Explorer
It is hard wired....

GordonThree wrote:
What's your plan then, are you going to plug the TV and satellite directly in to the inverter or something else?

That's a fine unit, plenty of charger if you only have one small battery.

More details will get better answers.
2016 F-350 four door Lariat 4X4 long bed & 2012 Sabre 34RLQS...

MrWizard
Triplite products are practically bullet proof
At least the PV1250 inverter I have , has been bullet proof
6 yrs of full-time use ,
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
Remove the AC cable from your power center going to the TV/ SAT and attach it to the AC output of the Inverter / Charger. Run a new AC cable from the old breaker to AC input on the I/C. Run DC power cables from the I/C to your existing batteries.
When you have generator or shore power the I/C sill charge the batteries in parallel with your current charger / converter, and pass power to the TV/SAT. When there is no AC power, the I/C will generate AC for the TV/SAT, pulling power off the batteries. Figure 1 amp hour of batteries consumed for every 10 watt hours used. There is also power wasted when the loads are off by the inverter's load sense. Add at least 1 battery to your current bank, and go for it. 100 watts or more of solar on the roof would be nice as well.
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The 12 volt output and charging rate would be a little concern. If I read it right it is 11-45 amps.
I think I would get a good quality converter replacement and then a stand alone inverter for your needs.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
A tv with an external power supply can be made work by plugging it into the cigarette lighter. I had to get a lighter plug that upped the voltage, 16 iIRC, but it is easy to do and won't have the parasitic draw of an inverter.

A better use for an inverter is the microwave. On my TT I installed a Tripp Lite 2,000 watt inverter/charger. I think it was an APS 2012. The only problem was that the microwave did not like the MSW power and did not work correctly. I would spring for a PSW model. I made mine whole house and fed the panel by use of a 2 way automatic switch for the inverter and the plug. I mounted it in the front storage compartment and ran AC th the rear underneath the panel, I used exterior wire. I had to drill 2 holes in the floor. One in the front to deliver heavy cable to the inverter charger, and one beside the panel for the AC. Be sure and fuse the DC cable before it goes into the inverter/charger.
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
What's your plan then, are you going to plug the TV and satellite directly in to the inverter or something else?

That's a fine unit, plenty of charger if you only have one small battery.

More details will get better answers.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed