cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter question

ondeeroad
Explorer
Explorer
New to rv-ing i have a question about inverter, i have a 4000 watts/ continuous 2000 watts, is it safe to run this on a single battery using 30ft of 4 guage wires just to power a coffee maker?
19 REPLIES 19

ondeeroad
Explorer
Explorer
I guess ill just have to relocate the inverter and run another wire, thanks everyone for your inputs

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't put them neck-to-neck for a valid test but I'd bet that making my coffee using hot water heated on the gas stove through a funnel with paper is faster than a 10 cup electric drip maker.

At the hunting camp, we'd make "cowboy coffee". Throw grounds in the pan of heated water on the stove or fire pit. Before pouring, throw a cup of cold water in the pan to make the grounds sink.

As you can tell, I'm not a coffee snob (no inference intended). :B
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
ondeeroad, I'm just a "simpleton" but, how about a drip or percolator pot on the stove? I know that electric is fast and convenient, but it's hard to beat the stove top. memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Noel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Mr. Wiz.......
Noel

2003 National Dolphin LX 6335, W22, 8.1L

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Get the right cables made to order.

http://www.genuinedealz.com/custom-cables?size=7

Even #1 linked is a bit small so keep the fuse tight at 200 amps.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Another thought: If you are using #4 wire fuse it at 100 Amps or less if the coffee pot uses less than 100A. That will at least make it safe.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Big short wire from battery to inverter, long small wire from inverter to coffee maker. Lots of difference between 1500 watts at 110v and at 12v.

The Other Noel - johno02
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
What coffee maker? There are big differences in power consumption between models. Some small single-serving desktop units are 300-400 watts, while some Keurig models require 1800 watts. You'll have a much better time of things with a low-power unit than a high-power one, even though it will take longer to make the coffee.

x2 or x5 or whatever on placing the inverter as close to the battery as practical. If you use the same wire size (which you won't, as it's unnecessary), the power loss due to the wiring will be about a hundred times greater at 12V vs. at 120V for the same load. (You have ten times the current at 12V, which for a given resistance means ten times the voltage drop, and the power lost is the product of the current and voltage drop.)

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
It is best to base the wire size on the inverter current rating rather than on the expected load. You might want to run other things off the inverter at some later date.

Is the 30' the distance from the inverter to the coffee maker? If so, the wire length will be 60 feet. 30' positive and 30' negative wire.

In either case #4 AWG wire is far too small.

Your one battery won't like it either.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

MrWizard
Put inverter under front seat
Run new wire to back of van for 120vac
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

ondeeroad
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
ondeeroad wrote:
New to rv-ing i have a question about inverter, i have a 4000 watts/ continuous 2000 watts, is it safe to run this on a single battery using 30ft of 4 guage wires just to power a coffee maker?

The cable run to the inverter from the battery should be as short as possible using cable of the appropriate gauge ... why in the world is your run 30 feet? :h

Battery location on sprinter vans is under drivers floor/floor mat and the inverter mounted at the very rear of the van, ran the wire up the celing and not under the vehicle which would probably cut the length down by 10+ feet, didnt really think of running an inverter at that time just wanted to run a good power wire while i had the liners off

MrWizard
Noel wrote:
1500 watts is 15 amps.

15 amps of 110vac

It 150 amps of 12vac to create 1500w output from the inverter

Short FAT wire for battery power to inverter

Then long wire for the 120vac, high volts low amps equal less power loss

For high amps you should have multiple batteries,
Unless this is a one time emergency

Kurieg 1500w
Drip coffee maker closer to 900w approx 80 amps dc battery power
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Since the wire is small use a 150a fuse close to B+.
Although the inverter may shut down from low voltage before the wire melts.
Far better with 3' of #4 and a 25' extension cord.
I hope that single battery is a deep cycle 8D AGM.

Noel
Explorer
Explorer
1500 watts is 15 amps.
Noel

2003 National Dolphin LX 6335, W22, 8.1L