cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

is anyone using one of these AC units?

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
hi I reacently stubbled across the Fresair web page and was looking at THIS unit. has anyone used an evaporative AC before and how did it work.

I am looking at this for on the camper (no ac or 120V yet) and it would only be a once and a blue moon thing as normaly I am high enough in the mountians to not worry about AC. With the ability to install it in an exsisting 14x14 vent and the low power usage (less than 8amps DC at full power) and the fact it doesnt need pure water so well water or what ever is at the campground would be fine...

Thanks
Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100
23 REPLIES 23

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
3 tons wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
hi I reacently stubbled across the Fresair web page and was looking at THIS unit. has anyone used an evaporative AC before and how did it work.

I am looking at this for on the camper (no ac or 120V yet) and it would only be a once and a blue moon thing as normaly I am high enough in the mountians to not worry about AC. With the ability to install it in an exsisting 14x14 vent and the low power usage (less than 8amps DC at full power) and the fact it doesnt need pure water so well water or what ever is at the campground would be fine...

Thanks
Steve

In my view 7-8 amps seems rather high for a evaporative cooler (if I have this right??), and it cost more than a smaller rooftop air conditionerโ€ฆI see little advantageโ€ฆ

For example, my Coleman 11k btu Mach 1 P.S. uses about 9-9.5 amps with 2 speed fan on low speed, which does a good job, though the fan is a bit noisyโ€ฆ660w of concurrent rooftop harvest (and another 360w ground deployable when stationary off-grid) along with 400a Lithium has been a reasonable combination - Honda 2200 just as a backup, but (except for a periodic run) havenโ€™t used it for air conditionerโ€ฆ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsgmSaDWUWo

3 tons

Says 8a DC power, so it uses a lot less than any traditional 120v A/C.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
pianotuna wrote:
I would love it if evaporative cooling worked well in Saskatchewan. Unfortunately the unit I bought only cools the rv about 3 degrees F from the ambient.

Save your money.

which one did you buy Don, and how big of a space (cuft) were you trying to cool. Im only trying to cool down 450ish ft3.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
jkwilson wrote:
Evaporative coolers arenโ€™t much good unless the air is bone dry where you are.

that it is, I live in a semi arid classed area.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
3 tons wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:

Thanks
Steve

In my view 7-8 amps seems rather high for a evaporative cooler (if I have this right??), and it cost more than a smaller rooftop air conditionerโ€ฆI see little advantageโ€ฆ

For example, my Coleman 11k btu Mach 1 P.S. uses about 9-9.5 amps with 2 speed fan on low speed, which does a good job, though the fan is a bit noisyโ€ฆ660w of concurrent rooftop harvest (and another 360w ground deployable when stationary off-grid) along with 400a Lithium has been a reasonable combination - Honda 2200 just as a backup, but (except for a periodic run) havenโ€™t used it for air conditionerโ€ฆ

3 tons

ya thats the most it can use so would probably be significantly less than that as I wouldnt want a 40 degree drop haha I have no space in this camper to carry a genny and no 120 set up so ya I realize it is a bit pricy but all these 12V setups seam to be for some reason. who knows maybe if I can see one I could make it myself and save some money.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I would love it if evaporative cooling worked well in Saskatchewan. Unfortunately the unit I bought only cools the rv about 3 degrees F from the ambient.

Save your money.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
3 tons wrote:

3 tons
The <8 amps the OP is quoting is at 12vdc. The 9-9.5 amps you are quoting is 120VAC. Huge difference.

The 12vdc evap coolers work well in a small camper without hookups, genset, or inverter/big battery bank, as long as humidity outside is very low (<20%).
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not that unit but a portable
They work well if the humidity is low Very well in the desert.

When I used mine I had three issues.. Limited electricity (NOT on grid) Low humidity and heat... Thus the portable (Which adds humidity to the room air) was ideal.. The humidity was so low I had to use saline spray in my nose. That's very dry air.. So the unit dropped my bedroom a good 10 degrees F and raised the humidity.

The rooftop units.. I believe use a heat exchanger so the moist air goes outside. But they work well on very low power consumption Provided it's DRY out... Here in Michigan where it's often 30% humidity or more.. Not so well.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Evaporative coolers arenโ€™t much good unless the air is bone dry where you are.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:

Thanks
Steve

3 tons