cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is My ATS going bad

Mike_and_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
Usually I turn off all high draw items and start the Generator before I leave a campsite and the go out and unplug the electrical cord and do the reverse when I get to a new camp site (turn off al high draw items and the plug in the electrical before turning off the generator) In the past there was no problem. The Power Management System would show generator power only until I shut the generator off and then would show 50amp if that is what I was plugged into. And iff I were to start the generator before I unplugged the electrical cord it would show 50amp until the generator came on line and then switch and only show the generator. Lately it has been showing both sources at the same time. I have quickly removed one of the power sources as soon as I saw this. So is my Automatic Transfer Switch gone?
Mike and Pat
"Full Timing. But still working. At least for awhile.:W
Mike (Driver) and Pat (Navigator)
2004 Itasca Meridian 39K 330 cat
2009 Saturn Outlook toad
SMI Stay in Play Duo
Socrates,Kiira and Tiberius (Tonkinese Cats)
Maximus (Mini schnauzer)
5 REPLIES 5

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
ADAD437 wrote:
why would you want them both on at the same time anyway? why not shut down then plug in?
#1- Its supposed to switch
#2- its not uncommon to be in a 20 or 30A service and fire the gen up for microwave use, etc. I do this all the time when running a EU2000, but maybe we need an extended run on the MW, and the Honda can't handle the load.

The ATS takes care of that. But, what the OP is talking about is what his EMS panel is reporting. Thats not really an ATS function.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
why would you want them both on at the same time anyway? why not shut down then plug in?

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

๐Ÿ˜›

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Actually I have the same EMS and coach, 2 years newer and pretty sure it operates as you originally stated. I'll go out tmw and verify.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Mike_and_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Chris, It could be just my old mind not remembering properly. I will give it a check. thanks for your imput.
Mike and Pat
"Full Timing. But still working. At least for awhile.:W
Mike (Driver) and Pat (Navigator)
2004 Itasca Meridian 39K 330 cat
2009 Saturn Outlook toad
SMI Stay in Play Duo
Socrates,Kiira and Tiberius (Tonkinese Cats)
Maximus (Mini schnauzer)

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Are you certain that has changed? The power management system knows about the 50 amp by sensing 240 volt power, and genset by sensing the energized genset tag line, so it can sense both at the same time without there being a problem. Try flipping the genset breakers off- it should read both 50 amp and genset but never switch over.
-- Chris Bryant