cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Is this my converter?

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
Was trying to find my converter and found this under the bed ( between the bedroom furnace and built in vac ).
Current: 1987 Georgie Boy Encounter 34',John Deere chassis,460c.i./C6.
SOLD-2012 Cougar XLite 27RLS
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
SOLD-2004 Shadow Cruiser Fun Finder 189FBR
Just the Wife and I.
22 REPLIES 22

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I don't remember dates of company name changes, but that is either a B&W, Triad-Utrad or Magnetek- they were all basically the same. You can find a brochure for them here and schematics and repair info http://www.parallaxpower.com/archived-tech-docs#here- you have to choose Magnetek and scroll down to 700-900 series, or B&W Phillips and scroll to the Triad-Utrad link.
-- Chris Bryant

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Brand and model would confirm what you found.
Is there an issue to fix? Looking for improvement?

MrWizard
Doubt it
He has a Fifth wheeler, not a bus conversion
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
I'm guessing that heater is a "Bus" heater, a heat exchanger taking engine heat from the engine cooling system. Our old Triple E Commander Class A had one, worked great as long as the engine running!

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, that's a deck mount converter. Post up brand and model for better advice. I have a similar Progressive Dynamics converter that is 40 + years old and is still working fine. It only puts out 30 amps and at 13.6V but my solar does the bulk of charging.

A newer converter, of course, will do a better job. If it was me, I'd straighten out that 120V box, associated wiring, and add in a new deck mount converter. This would be especially true if I was using a generator to charge batteries or had battery maintenance issues.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
JimInMich wrote:
Was trying to find my converter and found this under the bed

YIKES. Both a propane (I assume) heater and a converter UNDER THE BED ?!?!?!?

I don't think I could sleep knowing that stuff is there.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
And just about the easiest thing to swap out that there ever was !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. That's a great candidate for replacement, as it's an old ferro-resonant unit..state of the art in the 1970s, but heavy, hot, loud, and doesn't work without a battery.
-- Chris Bryant