cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Issue Fixed: Tail light

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Had posted a while back about an issue with one of the bulbs in one of my tail lights. Basically one of the bulbs was not working. Took out one from other side and put in and it didn't work. Left alone until yesterday and tried again. This time I went and bought new bulbs. I did notice the old bulb had a corroded wire (3157). The socket appeared fine. But I took some sand paper and ran it down inside. Put some bulb grease on the bulb and plugged it in and it worked. Took some clear sealant and went around the edge of the light fixture after I screwed it back on. Apparently over time, some water was able to get down into it and corrode the bulb. Gonna do the same thing for the other side (sealant).
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
6 REPLIES 6

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jet-Lube-73560-DM-Dielectric-Silicone-Grease-5-3-oz-Squeeze-Tube-Translucent...

Use on any connection, inside or out. Glop it on. Back home I have a 40 lb 5-gallon bucket of silicone dielectric grease.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Seal with dielectric grease then, before reinsertion, after contacts are cleaned up.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
NinerBikes wrote:
1157 bulbs are nickle plated base, vs brass. They don't corrode in such applications.

These were 3157 and not 1157's...no metal base...plastic with 2 wires running down on each side...

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Oooooooooo honorable bulbs from China. Been around for thirty years. not nickel plated. Aluminum. Goes well with brass, copper and lead. A veritable festival of corrosion. Glop on the silicone dielectric grease. The older 9002-4-5-6 OEM headlight bulbs had aluminum contacts mating with unplated brass terminals of the harness. Aftermarket bulb contacts were all too commonly not plated. Aluminum-copper-zinc with lots of current.

talotto
Explorer
Explorer
Galvanic corrosion was your problem. It needs three things: dissimilar metals in contact, electric current, and electrolyte (water). Eliminate any of the three (water) and you've fixed the problem. Your solution is perfect.
KG5PDS
2004 Itasca Meridian 36G
2004 HD Heritage Softail
2016 Jeep Wrangler
College Station, TX

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
1157 bulbs are nickle plated base, vs brass. They don't corrode in such applications.