Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

keeping warm

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Having a little cold snap. Current temperature is -12 C (10.4 f) and low tomorrow will be -24 C (-11.2 f).

I am heating 100% electrically and demand is between 3000 and 4500 watts. The interior of the RV is at 20 C (68 f).

I'm at a 50 amp site at the only open local campground.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
29 REPLIES 29

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Time2Roll,

I did consider going to a 50 amp service--but I rarely connect to 50 amp. I can do quite well to -30 c (-22 f) if there are 3 15 amp shore power plugs available, without exceed 80% of total capacity.

I often use 2 15 amp shore power supplies and I can be comfortable at -12 C (10.4 f)
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
pianotuna wrote:
Hi time2roll,

The limitation is the shore power cords. I have an OEM 30, a 20, and a 15 amp.

My 50 amp "break out box" (which includes breakers) has a 30 amp outlet on one leg, and twin 20 amp outlets on the other leg. It means it is unbalanced to some extent.
For all the effort do you ever look back and think to just upgrade the RV panel to 50 amp service?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
At least you have quiet neighbors

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Update

2018 03 29 at 10:30 p.m. local time.

Ambient temperature -27.2 c (-17 f) measured on the picnic table with a "gun".

I added a radiant heater, so energy use has climbed to 5700 watts (voltage 104), but the oil filled heaters are still cycling on and off, so the low number is about 3500 watts.

The 5700 watt number converts to about 19449 BTU's, which is near the maximum output of the furnace. I doubt that the furnace would cycle off at all.

I "shot" the three shore power cords. They were about 8 degrees C warmer than the ambient temperature at -19 C (-2.2f). The 50 amp plug at the pedestal was also -19 C.

The temperature measurement at the fridge side access panel and vent was -10 c (14 f). It has a 60 watt bulb on a tc-3 thermocube.

Mex the roof is 21.2 C (70 f) and at "hip" height the walls are 18 C (64 f). The entrance way "step" is at -3.5 C (26 f). Of course there is really no insulation at all in that area of the RV.

At knee level it is hard to get a reading that is not influenced by the heated carpets or the oil filled heaters. The coldest spot I could find was 15 c (59 f). Mostly I got readings of 20 c (68 f).

I still have one more heater I could put into service, but I think I'll not bother.
Regards, Don

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
When I had an old Superior school bus in a cold climate I fired a tunnel type propane heater from outside and 15' distance. The heat went under the bus. I would raise the inside temp to 90F stop the heater and four hours later have to repeat the process.

Measure your temperature at the ceiling. How much warmer is it than at knee level?

100F ears and 40F knees ain't too cool...

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Triker33,

I deliberately purchased a no slide RV. But that is good advice.
Regards, Don

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Quote:
I will never use an unvented combustion heater
------------------------------------------------
God helps those that help themselves
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
It is cool here this morning at 6:30AM it is only 72ยบ outside.

For the OP if you have slides pull one or two in. And have less space to heat.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

The Espar heaters are a "delux" item and I'd love to have one. I'd have to use the gasoline version. However, since the campground includes unmetered electric, I'm better off not burning fuel that I have to pay for.

At 4500 watts I'm extracting about 15354 BTU's. At 7000 watts, about 23884 BTU's (more than the total output of the propane furnace).

If I could find a location where there were three 15 amp circuits I would not have to be paying the campground $265.00 per week.

It is -9 C (16 f) and the float voltage for the battery bank is 14.1.

free radical wrote:
Have you considered investing in Espar diesel heater?
I have one rated at 7500 btu in my TC and its very eficient,used couple galons a week in minus 20c..draws about 20% from 100amhr batery all night runing..
Regards, Don

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi time2roll,

The limitation is the shore power cords. I have an OEM 30, a 20, and a 15 amp.

My 50 amp "break out box" (which includes breakers) has a 30 amp outlet on one leg, and twin 20 amp outlets on the other leg. It means it is unbalanced to some extent.

My peak load is about 7000 watts, but with heaters cycling on and off it varies between 3000 and 4500 watts.

Voltage @ 4500 watts is 108. I did consider using the Sola Basic on the 30 amp leg to boost the voltage. It is interesting to see how the twin 20 amp leg "drags down" the voltage on the 30 amp leg.

Wattage is not calculated but is a reading from the watt meter.
Regards, Don

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
I believe 'Tuna was actually just telling us how SUCCESSFUL he was being at keeping warm in those cold temps... He's pretty experienced at life in that climate. With an interior temp of 68*F I'd call that pretty comfy! Good work! ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
50 amp... why scrimp and just use 1/3rd of the power?

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
My Class C is Canadian built and I've made lots of cold weather modifications. Here are a few:

electric heated carpets
two auxiliary shore power cords (20 and 15 amp)
Fridge protection using a 60 watt bulb and a TC-3 thermocube
extra insulation
heat for the waste tanks
dual window fan to replace the cold air return grill for the furnace.

Electricity is included in the campsite rental. Propane I'd have to refill every 3 days. A Mr. Heater is NOT safe to use as it is an unvented combustion heater. My daughter is a CO survivor. I will never use an unvented combustion heater.

I keep my continuous load electrical use to 80% of capacity or less (2880 watts for 30 amp, 1920 watts for 20, and 1440 watts for 15 amp). My peak use is around 7000 watts.

I have used my RV at -37 c (-34 f)

swphotobug wrote:
RVs are not meant for those temperature, maybe an Arctic Fox. Why aren't you using propane? As a future reference I would get a Mr. Heater for those temperatures.

Have you considered investing in Espar diesel heater?
I have one rated at 7500 btu in my TC and its very eficient,used couple galons a week in minus 20c..draws about 20% from 100amhr batery all night runing..

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I believe CO damage may also be cumulative. It is nasty stuff.

Almot wrote:
CO is more "damaging", with long lasting effects (read - forever), somewhat similar to stroke.
Regards, Don