cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaving antifreeze in all summer

zukeeper
Explorer
Explorer
For the first time, we are not going to be using our RV all summer. We winterized last fall, and are wondering if we should drain the antifreeze and re-winterize this fall. How long can the antifreeze stay in the pipes safely in hot weather?
9 REPLIES 9

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Like someone else said. WOn't hurt to leave it in
Also won't hurt to blow it out with compressed air

Next time you winterize blow it out with compressed air (don't put the PINK in the fresh tank) use Pink in the Drains and toilets but for the main lines blow 'em out with air
DO NOT forget to drain the water pump. water pump inlet strainer and ice maker lines (To drain ice maker lines after the first blow with low point drains open cycle the ice maker manually so the valve opens. OR remove lines at solenoid and drain it that way be sure to make solenoid open and close by cycling however).

Run pump dry for a short time to clear it after first blow out. (1 minute is more than enough, 30 seconds good too 3 seconds likely enough. wont hurt pump)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
I wonder about the long term effects of the ethanol in the cheaper RV anti-freeze. Ethanol causes damage to soft parts in gasoline engines.

Good point, and just another good reason to not cheap out to begin with. A cheap gallon for 2 bucks, or a good quality for 5? I've paid as much as $8 per gal. Mine only takes 2 gals, 3 at most, being wasteful. So, $6, or $15, does it matter? Not to me.

Jerry

I prefer the good stuff too, but often it's just not available around here. I have practiced draining after winterizing for quite a few years now.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lynnmor wrote:
I wonder about the long term effects of the ethanol in the cheaper RV anti-freeze. Ethanol causes damage to soft parts in gasoline engines.

Good point, and just another good reason to not cheap out to begin with. A cheap gallon for 2 bucks, or a good quality for 5? I've paid as much as $8 per gal. Mine only takes 2 gals, 3 at most, being wasteful. So, $6, or $15, does it matter? Not to me.

Jerry

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
RV's come winterized from the factory. The ones that don't sell, sit on a dealers lot for more than a year in many instances. I'm sure dealers aren't draining them and re-adding antifreeze.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
The antifreeze can be drained immediately after winterizing, it's job is to displace h20.

But to answer your question directly.
Rv antifreeze has infinite shelf life and can stay in your water lines until you're ready to use it.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Won't hurt to leave it in

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Same issue
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman