cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

location of converter

vickark
Explorer
Explorer
I need to replace the converter in my 2012 crossroads cruiser.I would have thought it would be behind the breaker panel near the front door. It's not there.
Anyone have any ideas what panel it's hiding behind?
The converter i'm replacing is a w-r 9865 model.
Thanks for any help.
Happy camping
James & Pam
Terra (cairn terrier)
2011 F350 superduty 4X4 Lariat 6.7
2012 Crossroads Cruiser patriot CF 335SS
12 REPLIES 12

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Did you replace it with another WFCO?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

vickark
Explorer
Explorer
Ah ha, I've found it. The little rascal was hiding behind a panel in the crawl -thru space. I managed to remove the old one and get the new one in. Thanks to all.
James & Pam
Terra (cairn terrier)

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Not familiar with your type of RV but on many it is located along side the bed. You will see a vent cover and it is behind that.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
The test with lights dimmer would only show that "something" is wrong. Either converter, or battery, or both.

vickark
Explorer
Explorer
It is a wfco. You can check at the battery when the lights dim with a volt meter. The volts will either go up or down when the lights dim. This determines if it is the battery or the converter going bad. My test ended up being the converter that was bad. My luck I had a spare new battery in case it was the storage battery. LOL
James & Pam
Terra (cairn terrier)

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
9865 is a deck mount WFCO. It needs an outlet and a battery connection. Follow the thick wires.

http://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-9865-65-amp/

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Probably because its a Wfco ? ๐Ÿ™‚
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Can't help on location but I'm curious how you know it needs replacing if you can't locate it?
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

vickark
Explorer
Explorer
There's a panel in the crawl space, I will try that one next. Thanks
James & Pam
Terra (cairn terrier)

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it's a separate deck mount converter, it could be most anywhere, not necessarily very near the electrical panel. Attempting to trace the wires from the house batteries or the DC distribution panel may be helpful; the converter would usually connect to one or the other of these components more or less directly. There are many variations in the exact wiring topology, though.

Some converters (particularly the older ferroresonant ones) you can locate by tracking down their sound. Some are more or less noiseless, which is great all the time except when you need to find it.

vickark
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled the breaker panel out, no converter there. thanks
James & Pam
Terra (cairn terrier)

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Mine was the lower part of the breaker panel. It isn't always a separate component, ya know ?
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.