cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lp fumes in camper

epbigfoot
Explorer
Explorer
HI. I have a 185rb jayco SLX. Havent used it since late last summer. Went to light the refrig, on lp, (3 way) and wouldn't lite. Then cleaned out dirt dobber nest, where it lights outside. Lit right up. About 2 hours later, the CO2 alarm was going off and horrible smell inside. Let it air out, alarm quit, and took off cover on roof for refrig vent and about 1/2 was covered in wasp nests. cleaned it off, reapplied vent and sealer, fired up refrig and still fumes in camper. What am I missing? Thanks in advance. Water heater and stove works. No fumes with water heater.
20 REPLIES 20

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like you have an off-set similar to this

Top of flue is lower then overall height of fridge---typically below condenser fins/tube

It is a short stack.....
So you may not be able to reach it via roof vent
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
coolmom42 wrote:
If this is indeed your propane alarm going off, and not the CO sensor, it can be set off by a few things besides propane. I'm fairly sure ammonia from the fridge would set it off, and possibly H2S from the water heater bacteria or bad batteries.

That's true, too. Things like dog farts and sewer gas will also do it. But whatever it is, I'd urge the OP to diligently track down the problem, because while some causes are benign, others are deadly.

coolmom42 wrote:
But could be there is a small propane leak... time to trace the fridge supply line back and tighten all the fittings, maybe check with some soap spray for leaks.

One more use for that spray bottle of good old Windex!

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
If this is indeed your propane alarm going off, and not the CO sensor, it can be set off by a few things besides propane. I'm fairly sure ammonia from the fridge would set it off, and possibly H2S from the water heater bacteria or bad batteries.

But could be there is a small propane leak... time to trace the fridge supply line back and tighten all the fittings, maybe check with some soap spray for leaks.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Refrigerant smells like Ammonia

I keep reading LP is like rotten eggs but to me it is more Essense of Skunk

Batteries can gas H2S (Rotten egg smell) and I've smelled that

There is a bacteria that is "heat loving" lives in water heaters and concentrats Sulfur thus generating H2S (Rotten Egg Smell) as well.

Some wells are "High Sulfur" as well (Water)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
epbigfoot wrote:
call me dumb, but, the vent on top of the camper is about 6 feet or more from the refrig. Like I said I will take it all apart, still raining, monsoon, lol. thank you sir.

Interesting. I may have ventured well beyond my realm of expertise then. All of the ones I've seen vent the heat straight up the back to the roof vent.

Here's my new cooling unit. The flue runs up the right side.

Here's what's left of my brother's after the firefighters removed it from the smoldering remains of his camper:

You're going to want to make sure that the fridge is working properly. That was a new awning, too:

1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

epbigfoot
Explorer
Explorer
call me dumb, but, the vent on top of the camper is about 6 feet or more from the refrig. Like I said I will take it all apart, still raining, monsoon, lol. thank you sir.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes Bud Light has it. I know because I have a kegerator with a CO2 tank. It does not, however, have a CO tank. That would be silly (and potentially dangerous I suppose).

Your flue should go straight up the back of the fridge. You should be able to look down at it from your roof top vent (when it's not raining). It's going to be directly above the flame and will be boxed in with some sort of insulation. Mine's fiberglass-insulated aluminum, but it's also very old.

epbigfoot
Explorer
Explorer
Thankyou for CO correction. Does Bud Lite have it? maybe a little less next time. Seriously thankyou for info on removing flue. I just figured that with the refrig in middle of trailer, must be a long 90 degree flue? Will find out, if it ever stops raining. Thankyou again.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
turbojimmy wrote:

Ha! That's funny. I saw CO2 and went with it. Of course it's CO (monoxide vs dioxide). Though I wonder if a CO2 alarm really exists (though not in the RV world).

Yes they do (and they're rather important safety devices in certain applications where elevated CO2 levels may be expected, such as some soda fountain or bar setups, silos or grain elevators, and various industrial situations).

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Since you typed CO2 so many times, I just have to point out, CO2 makes your soda fizz, CO is the carbon monoxide that can kill you. None of us have a CO2 alarm.

Yes I did. Thanks for noticing. I really do know the difference. The perils of multi-tasking.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
Ok let's get a few things straight:

- LP gas leak smells like rotten eggs. Will not set off a CO2 alarm
- Fridge leak smells like ammonia (because it is), also will not set off a CO2 alarm
- You can't smell CO2 - it's colorless and odorless

If the CO2 alarm is going off, you have combustion gasses (not LP gas) entering the camper. That's bad. I know you've cleaned your vent top and bottom. The fridge also as a chimney that runs up the back of it from where the flame peep hole is the whole way up. It could be clogged.

Sulfur smell will not set off a CO2 alarm. CO2 will set off a CO2 alarm (again, you can't smell what it's alarming on).

Since you typed CO2 so many times, I just have to point out, CO2 makes your soda fizz, CO is the carbon monoxide that can kill you. None of us have a CO2 alarm.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
Detail, but important: THERE IS NO CO2 alarm. It is a CO alarm. Carbon dioxide is the gas in your soda. Carbon monoxide is the deadly gas.

The likely cause of a carbon monoxide alarm is clogged air intake or exhaust on the burner. I'd say op was on the right track but something still needs cleaning.

Ha! That's funny. I saw CO2 and went with it. Of course it's CO (monoxide vs dioxide). Though I wonder if a CO2 alarm really exists (though not in the RV world).

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Detail, but important: THERE IS NO CO2 alarm. It is a CO alarm. Carbon dioxide is the gas in your soda. Carbon monoxide is the deadly gas.

The likely cause of a carbon monoxide alarm is clogged air intake or exhaust on the burner. I'd say op was on the right track but something still needs cleaning.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
turbojimmy wrote:
Ok let's get a few things straight:

- LP gas leak smells like rotten eggs. Will not set off a CO2 alarm
- Fridge leak smells like ammonia (because it is), also will not set off a CO2 alarm
- You can't smell CO2 - it's colorless and odorless

If the CO2 alarm is going off, you have combustion gasses (not LP gas) entering the camper. That's bad. I know you've cleaned your vent top and bottom. The fridge also as a chimney that runs up the back of it from where the flame peep hole is the whole way up. It could be clogged.

Sulfur smell will not set off a CO2 alarm. CO2 will set off a CO2 alarm (again, you can't smell what it's alarming on).

OP
What model is your fridge???

To access/reach/clean flue out .....need to remove that roof vent again
Flue baffle (spiral plate that hangs down inside flue) pulls out and needs to be clean and flue cleaned

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31