cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LP PRESSURE ?

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Recently noticed the high output burner on my stove is a tad loud and there is a section of openings that do not light on the burner. This moves if I gently blow on them. Also oven pilot has phases where it kinda burps. I replaced my LP pressure regulator five years ago. Could this be a pressure problem? How would I check the regulated pressure? What should it be?
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)
12 REPLIES 12

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
RV LP Stoves/ranges have their OWN LP regulator that drops the operating pressure from 11.5 to 10 inches. Odds are the burner/orifice/pilot is dirty after 17 years. Doug

^^ Correct. If you use a manometer to measure the pressure at the stove, your stove may have a mini-regulator (as does my 2011 TT). If so, you need to measure the propane pressure at the stove before the mini-regulator. It's in the top of the stove prior to the burners.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
All other LP items work fine. The stove is almost new. Bought in May. I may try to make a measuring tool. Are regulators adjustable? I did not realize my range had its own regulator. Thanks
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
Sounds more like air in the line.

You need to make a manometer. Basically it's a clear tube at least 30 inches long that you fill part way with water. Make the tube into a loop, remove a burner and slip one end over the spud. Turn on the gas, the water level should move about 11 inches up the tube.

Making a manometer

That 11 inches is between the top of the water column in each column, or 5.5 inches from where they were when they are at rest.
So one column moves up 5.5 inches, and the other moves down 5.5 inches.

Dusty

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
RV LP Stoves/ranges have their OWN LP regulator that drops the operating pressure from 11.5 to 10 inches. Odds are the burner/orifice/pilot is dirty after 17 years. Doug

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
A word to the wise is enough. And so is a sentence with minor flaw/typo (missing verb). There was, indeed, a link and "how to" picture :)...

Cleaning - Mex here knows a lot about cr-ap that propane holds and leaves in everything that it runs through. Should be stopped right at the tank, with filter. Though I doubt this was the cause of the OP issues.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
mike-s wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
OB - a couple of old Nukes with a brain full of worthless info lol
Pay attention and you may learn something.

A manometer isn't anything more than some vinyl tubing from the hardware store, some water, and some knowledge (which can be easily found on the Internet). For <$5, one can eliminate (or identify) a common cause of problems with propane appliances.

Picture and How to link too much for you grasp :H
Please speak in complete English sentences if you want a meaningful response.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
mike-s wrote:
jplante4 wrote:

A manometer isn't anything more than some vinyl tubing from the hardware store, some water, and some knowledge (which can be easily found on the Internet). For <$5, one can eliminate (or identify) a common cause of problems with propane appliances.

Picture and How to link too much for you grasp :H
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
jplante4 wrote:

And just think of all that school time/qual time spent :B

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds more like air in the line.

You need to make a manometer. Basically it's a clear tube at least 30 inches long that you fill part way with water. Make the tube into a loop, remove a burner and slip one end over the spud. Turn on the gas, the water level should move about 11 inches up the tube.

Making a manometer
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
When was last time you CLEANED burners....toothpick openings to clear them and clean out burner gas tube

RV LP Pressure is 11" WC (that is roughly 0.4 psi)

A Manometer is used to measure pressure.....connected to gas appliance and then at least 50% of propane appliances in service

How is Water Heater Flame?
The Furnace?
Fridge?
OTHER stove top burners?

Could be dirty stove top burner, could be range/oven regulator or could be LP Reg (IF other appliances have issues)