cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LP vs AC

Kountryguy
Explorer
Explorer
I also am having cooling issues with my Dometic RM3862. Is it typical for these to operate better on AC than on LP?
Like a previous poster, the freezer seems to be cold enough, but the refrigerator is another story. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
17 REPLIES 17

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Also, you might want to look into the small circulation fans that some people put in their fridges. There are a few threads around these forums regarding that.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kountryguy wrote:
Like a previous poster, the freezer seems to be cold enough, but the refrigerator is another story. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
If the freezer is 0-10F then start looking for air leaks like the refer door gasket. Otherwise find out why the freezer isn't cold.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if my experience will help, but...

I've found that on hot days, my refrig will cool really well. On cool days, not so much - still works, but doesn't seem as cold. Since it does what we need it to do, I haven't put any effort into seeing if I can change that.

I have not found that much of a difference between gas or electric, but we are just weekenders so I've not done any long term use.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The process for the propane refrigerator has been around for many years. I can remember one from back when I was a kid in the 40's... It is truly amazing how you can put fire or heat in one end and get cooling out of the other end.

Reading up on-line it says the refrigerant in LP gas/ electric refrigerators is ammonia- the oldest refrigerant used.

In an RV refrigerator, the heat can by generated by an LP gas flame or an electric heating element- the heating element can be 120 volt AC, or 12 volt DC.

With all of this in mind there really shouldn't be any difference whether you use a gas flame or electric heating element as long as the ammonia gets heated up properly. The only difference maybe might be dirty flue or poor connections etc...

I would think keeping the fridge in the a cool environment as best you can would be the best of all worlds. Parking where the high sun always hits the outside wall of the fridge probably not a good idea.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
The BTU's of LP AND 120 ac are identical. RV refers will operate the exact same on either source. There is NO WAY to even test to see which way is better. There are way to many variables that would affect an absorbsion cool down rate. Slightly LOW LP pressure and/or a dirty burner will cause slower cooling on LP. Low AC voltage will cause slower cooling on 120(Very common at marginal CG's with AC supply currents). As the OP stated, HE thinks it cools better on AC, NOT LP. But, if so, he needs his refer LP burner and his LP pressure checked. Doug

Doug in research testing can be done quite well if you manage the variables like we did. ๐Ÿ™‚ Doing the testing on the old Norcold 6162 was not hard at all with the new Amish reman cooling using and cleaned electric element and burner.

lasttruck
Explorer
Explorer
If your fridge is not cooling well on propane, but it is on AC, then you most likely have a propane problem. Check the flue, burner and propane pressure.

If the flue and burner are clean, look at the flame. It may look good, but if it in not "tall", say around an inch, your regulator may be going bad and not providing enough pressure. Low flame will not provide enough heat to properly cool the fridge.

Yes, it has happened to me. A manometer revealed low pressure, adjustment to the regulator at the tank helped a little, but not enough to fix the problem. A new regulator did.
07 F150
10 Chalet XL1935
15 Fleetwood Brittany Park
Evergreen Coho SKP Park Website
Evergreen Coho SKP Park on Facebook

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
Check the door gasket, paying special attention to the bottom portion.

Jim, "Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?"
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Check voltages. When my fridge is running from my generator which is running at 120-122 VAC, I notice no cooling differences between that and propane. However, I would guess that if voltage is at 110-115VAC, then LP gas would win out.

I use gas mainly, but it doesn't hurt to swap between the two.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
http://youtu.be/oIJYx5j2nPQ
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Mfreyder
Explorer
Explorer
Check out this site to understand what is going on inside the fridge.

http://youtu.be/oIJYx5j2nPQ

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The BTU's of LP AND 120 ac are identical. RV refers will operate the exact same on either source. There is NO WAY to even test to see which way is better. There are way to many variables that would affect an absorbsion cool down rate. Slightly LOW LP pressure and/or a dirty burner will cause slower cooling on LP. Low AC voltage will cause slower cooling on 120(Very common at marginal CG's with AC supply currents). As the OP stated, HE thinks it cools better on AC, NOT LP. But, if so, he needs his refer LP burner and his LP pressure checked. Doug

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ideally.. NO difference, however it is very hard to hit IDEAL when adjusting the burner so there may be some variation can go either way.

Also voltage varies.. Lower voltage gives the advantage to GAS.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
My Norcold 1200 operates best on LP.
Whether on LP or Electric, ventilation is the main issue especially in warmer weather. Do you have a fan(s) in the evaporator area.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
In testing both methods with our 1992 Norcold 6162 frig with a reman Amish cooling unit there was not much difference.