cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

main 30a circuit breaker problem

sccoast99
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed a new overhead ceiling fan switch, and turned the main 30a circuit breaker to my 30 ft fifthwheel off before I did the work. Problem is that I cannot get the circuit breaker to turn back on. There is 120v power to the circuit breaker. I unhooked the fan switch I just installed just in case. Nothing. Has breaker gone bad? anyway to reset it?
2003 Sunnybrook 30RKFS
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 Diesel, Allison Transmission
14 REPLIES 14

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
2 penny moment...

As long as the cover is off tighten all set screws. Including all individual breaker wire screws, buss neutral and buss ground bar screws. Did you find all of them tight and copper wire end stubs in good condition? At least that maintenance is free...

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the breaker flips normally with no applied power but trips immediately when powered, you provably have a short somewhere, likely in the main power panel.

If it won't reset witb no power, the breaker is bad assuming it's a plain old ordinary breaker.

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP already tried that, no go.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Have you tried PUSHING the breaker DOWN to off then flip back up? Some breakers when they are tripped or switched OFF, will be in a spring loaded position. Trying to flip them UP will not work. You flip DOWN then Up. Doug

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Regardless of whether the switch is good or bad, it shouldn't have both hot and neutral connected to it so it shouldn't be able to create a short.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it doesn't reset even with power off, then yeah, I agree another circuit breaker.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

sccoast99
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all....i am going to pop it out and get another circuit breaker.
2003 Sunnybrook 30RKFS

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sometimes they just fail... I found the same name breaker at LOWES when I needed a new one... May have been the first time it had been switched since 2003 hehe...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

sccoast99
Explorer
Explorer
I've tried with all the other breakers off, with power to the FW off. with power to the FW on. I did test the voltage going into the breaker and it is ok when power to the unit in on.
2003 Sunnybrook 30RKFS

sccoast99
Explorer
Explorer
my "new" switch was my first thought...so I took it back out and capped each of the four wires..still can not get breaker to reset even without the switch wired. My thinking is that the switch is not now an issue (if it ever was a problem). My logic is saying the problem is the circuit breaker itself. If I can't find a way to get to reset I might need a new one.
2003 Sunnybrook 30RKFS

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Will the 30A breaker reset if you turn all the other breakers off?
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
bad switch maybe? Even if it's new, could be bad. Something is shorting out somewhere, causing the breaker to not set. Since the only thing you've done (it appears), is swap the switch, that's where I'd start.

Edit: I missed the fact that you disconnected the switch. So, perhaps a short in the fan itself?

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

sccoast99
Explorer
Explorer
no luck, but thanks for input.
2003 Sunnybrook 30RKFS

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Try clicking it all the way over the opposite direction of clicking it on then click it to the on position.