cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Melting extension cord

Claybe
Explorer
Explorer
I will be taking our first big trip soon and we will need the air conditioner. We usually boondock and never use the AC. I have only used it at home a couple of times and when I did the extension cord got really hot and the converter adapter plug from 220 to a 110 plug was almost melting. I will only have 110 available at the houses I will be staying at and need to use the AC. What should I do???
49 REPLIES 49

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Exactly what adapter are you using? Dog-bone style or a puck?

Do you have a 30 amp or 50 amp RV? (cord end; 3 prong = 30 amp, 4 prong = 50 amp)

How long is the extension cord? And more important is it at least #12 wire?

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
djousma wrote:

Don't try to plug into a 220v dryer or welder outlet. they look the same but you will fry your electrical appliances in your trailer.

I don't think so.
Why do YOU think that ??

To summarize:
If the houses don't have an appropriate 220 receptacle OR a 30 amp 110 one (highly unlikely) then you MUST run your generator.

If you don't have a generator......then you will be hot.

What you are doing now is dangerous; it's a fire just waiting to happen.....maybe inside the house where it's plugged in. I kind of wonder why the breaker in the house box doesn't trip. Mine did when I tried it.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
Mote wrote:
Most camper run on 110 volt. They do however need a 30amp power source. Your adapter is allowing you to use it on a 15 or 20amp power source. Your extension cord is getting hot since it is not large enough wire to pull that kind of power needed for the A/C.
If the houses you are going to don't have a RV specific 30amp 110 volt plug for you to attach to then will need to run a generator.

A generator with a 30A socket. Not a generator with a 15A socket. same situation applies.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
You really cannot run A/C on a 15 amp circuit because of what you have already observed happens. It is also very bad for your A/C, let alone dangerous. Unless the place you are going has a dedicated 30amp circuit, you are out of luck. BTW, your trailer is not 220, its just a larger 30amp plug(I am assuming 30a, could be 50a too).

Don't try to plug into a 220v dryer or welder outlet. they look the same but you will fry your electrical appliances in your trailer.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
Most camper run on 110 volt. They do however need a 30amp power source. Your adapter is allowing you to use it on a 15 or 20amp power source. Your extension cord is getting hot since it is not large enough wire to pull that kind of power needed for the A/C.
If the houses you are going to don't have a RV specific 30amp 110 volt plug for you to attach to then will need to run a generator.
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL