cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Messing about with LED retros

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I'm just sharing a few pictures of my recent LED retrofit purchases... nothing that I'm blown away by, but I do like the aluminum strip lights.

First off, dome-light conversions:

fixture (a) is a chip-on-board LED module from M4 Products ... I mislabled the picture as 3000k, the website states 3200k (warm white)... the unique COB construction is a bunch of tiny bare UV led die bonded to a board, and covered with a silicone like phosphor coating. the entire lamp lights up with a very uniform glow, you can barely make out the pin-pricks of light from the indivudal chips if you look closely. clicky

fixture (b) is a flat disc with surface mount leds on it from Super Bright LEDs advertised as 3100k (warm white)... Compared to the other LEDs, they have a pinkish tint to them, kind of weird. Also the leds are spaced far enough apart that you can see them individually when you look at the fixture. clicky

fixture (c) is home brewed module with three high-power 3500k (neutral white) Luxeon Rebel leds ... originally the entire trailer was retrofitted with this design, but it was designed and tested during the WINTER, and I didn't put them in the oven to test 100+F summer days - most of the modules from the double-dome fixtures have failed due to heat stress, back to the drawing board! This single dome fixture easily out-shines the two double-dome fixtures, but that's hard to capture on the camera.

Next up, an LED strip light

This is a rigid LED low-profile aluminum strip. clicky I'm probably going to paint the aluminum white so it looks a little more "fixture" like. I have temporarily tapped into the 12v for the sink light, I think I will replace the on/off rocker in the sink light with an on/off/on type, that way I can power just the sink light or both. I'll also snip-off that wire coming off the end, since I don't need to extend with another strip.

The strip blows the other fixtures out of the water - it really lights up my counter top, but doesn't much spill into the rest of the trailer. I have two more, for over the dinette and under the cabinets at the head of the bed. I might put a dimmer on that one, it would be crazy bright shining right in my eyes otherwise.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
2 REPLIES 2

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not sure why I'd pay $35 for a 3' strip when I can buy a 16' LED strip that does not need painting for $13. Cut to length and easy to use the rest with these connectors.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"