cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Metal roof maintenance

wildwest450
Explorer
Explorer
I washed the roof on my new to me camper this morning, it looks really good. I was a little concerned with this caulk at the front, does it look ok? It seems to be pulling away a little at the very ends, should I just go over that or plaster stuff over the whole thing?

I have proflex rv sealant, which is what I used on my fantastic fan installation. The guy at the rv place said it was mainly for vertical caulking because it was hard to work with on flat surfaces(I didn't think so). What does the collective recommend??

5 REPLIES 5

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm, if you fill it up and later have to remove all of it to get to the lap joint for a repair you will kick yourself.

If I was going to keep the trailer I would remove all the sealant or all That would come off with a steel putty knife and do it right.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

wildwest450
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Looks like someone ran a second layer of sealant over the OEM sealant which isn't the best idea as now it makes a dam for water to sit behind.
Same with adding Eternabond.
Make sure both those layers of sealant are removed as Eternabond is thick to begin with.
If it was my roof I would remove the old sealant and use Dicor self leveling sealant for a OEM look.

If you go with Eternabond I would add a self leveling sealant around the edges as the pros do for that OEM look. Do a youtube on the subject. Lots of vids out here for the do it yourself types.

Would you recommend filling that channel up?

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like someone ran a second layer of sealant over the OEM sealant which isn't the best idea as now it makes a dam for water to sit behind.
Same with adding Eternabond.
Make sure both those layers of sealant are removed as Eternabond is thick to begin with.
If it was my roof I would remove the old sealant and use Dicor self leveling sealant for a OEM look.

If you go with Eternabond I would add a self leveling sealant around the edges as the pros do for that OEM look. Do a youtube on the subject. Lots of vids out here for the do it yourself types.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

wildwest450
Explorer
Explorer
I'll check it out, thanks.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I would clear the area well, remove the loose cauld and fill in any gaps with Dicor self leveling caulk.
Then, I would cover the whole seam with Eternabond.
Eternabond is a one time repair.
I read that some of the new units coming out of the factory are using it on seams.

Eternabond Posts