cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

motor home steps not comming out

bobpie
Explorer
Explorer
Opening the door and you can here the switch clicking but the duel steps do not come out.
this has been happening off and on now for a couple of months.
I checked the electrical connections and that helped as I thought it was a loose connection.
here we go again, clicking sound when you open the door but the steps don't come out.
Help!
2001 suncrusier, 32-v, Ford V10, 4 Koni FSD, dinning slide, No leaks, 1 wife, 1 westie, life is good! 03 malibu toad sometimes, roadmaster brake pro,roadmaster Blackhawk all terrain tow bar!
5 REPLIES 5

bobpie
Explorer
Explorer
yep, it was the step motor got it off of Amazon
not that an easy of a job to remove and replace but it is done.
works great again!
2001 suncrusier, 32-v, Ford V10, 4 Koni FSD, dinning slide, No leaks, 1 wife, 1 westie, life is good! 03 malibu toad sometimes, roadmaster brake pro,roadmaster Blackhawk all terrain tow bar!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok Kwikee I strongly suspects uses 2nds when it comes to the mnotors. the motor has a dead spot.. if yours are like mine here is what I did last week.

First using a long .. Well I used forceps I was able to reach in over the top step and pull the cotter key out of a pin. then drive the pin out and then teh steps fell free. I pulled them out and put a support under them ah. now I can get in and out easily.

Following the advice of many I purchased a ford Driver's side window riser motor from Auto zone. .NO joy the output gear on the assembly is totally wrong and even swapping the motor from old to new not possible... So I kept researching

A new motor with the proper output shaft is in my mail box 60 miles away

I think the maker is Seimens. BUT .. Take heart

I put the motor back on. since the gears had moved it's no longer parked on the dead spot and is workign fairly well 3rd time I've done this. I'm running out of good spots So I'll be hanging on to that new motor when it I pick it up.

Job (once the steps are extended) is one wrench 3 bolts and one electrical plug (latching type) that's all folks FIRST thing you do is unplug. last thing is plug in and stay clear of the steps when doing anything.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
when ours started doing that a few years back, after checking the connections, we removed the motor and googled the numbers we found on it. Turned out to be some type of power window motor if I recall correctly. Installed the new one and all was well again.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Odds are your motor is shot. Go to manual #888 and follow the trouble shooting steps. Or buy a new motor from a wide variety of parts stores. Most likely a step motor from a ford truck. There are about 7,863,453 posts about steps stuck out, it is probably the same problem. Check my posts and you'll get all the help you need.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
I would check the connections and the ground again, then check the voltage at the steps. Then I would disconnect the steps from the motor at the linkage and check the steps. Make sure they swing in and out freely. Then operate the door switch and see if the motor works while disconnected. Last I would connect the motor directly to 12v with heavy gauge test leads and see if it works at all.

If the voltage is too low correct that problem. If the steps are binding fix that. If the motor works from the door switch when disconnected from the steps you might have a bad linkage or a weak motor. If the motor runs when jumped but not otherwise it might be a bad connection, wire or control board.

Hope this helps. These are basically the steps I followed when I fixed my own steps.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO