cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mounting TV on roof of RV with Aluminum studs

jayspi
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, we have a 2004 Colorado 33RL 5th wheel. It is new to us, and we were told that the studs are aluminum.

I'd like to root mount a TV on the bedroom. There's a large window that is keeping me from wall mounting it. However, I'm not sure if the studs would support it, and, if they do, what type of screws to use.

The TV itself isn't heavy. It weighs about 5 pounds. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
2004 33RL Colorado 5th wheel
2013 Ram SLT Cummins dually

Full-timing since February 2015!
12 REPLIES 12

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
+1 for toggle bolts.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

jayspi
Explorer
Explorer
Roller4Tan wrote:
I think if you get a mount that is easily removable or can take the tv off of it while traveling, it would reduce the stress on the screws and make for a lasting mod.

Good idea! I have something like that for my computer monitors so that I can just pop them off when I travel.

Let me get on Amazon and see what I can find.

Roller4Tan
Explorer
Explorer
I think if you get a mount that is easily removable or can take the tv off of it while traveling, it would reduce the stress on the screws and make for a lasting mod.
2014 Heartland Bighorn 3010RE
2013 GMC Sierra 3500Crew4WD
5th Airborne Pin Box
Curt 24K Hitch

jayspi
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the feedback! I took off the ceiling vent bezel as rjxj suggested, then used my endoscope to look up in the ceiling. The studs are definitely some kind of metal, presumably aluminum. I tapped on it with a crowbar to be sure.

The stud was large and sturdy enough to hold a TV, but I want to be sure the screws will hold. I can see there is some debate on that topic.

I did some preliminary research and I see people doing it in houses, so I don't see why it couldn't be done in an RV. This video was interesting. I also read a lot of people use toggle bolts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kgC7vfhnOE

Regarding mounting it to a cabinet, I would like to do that but the positioning is awkward. My wife and I explored that option and it would work but we wouldn't be able to move the TV at all. It would be stuck at one angle. So it's either get a smaller TV (we like our 32 inch for the bedroom) or find a way to mount it to the ceiling.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Bet the end cap is NOT aluminum studs or wood blocks are installed for ladder mounts

My rear cap with ladder still attached was pulled back enough to see everything behind it. The ladder screws went into the aluminum framework and no wood support behind.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Bet the end cap is NOT aluminum studs or wood blocks are installed for ladder mounts

As for frames etc......not much load bearing so screws will hold but can strip out very easily.

Weight capacity/Load bearing requires nuts/bolts or welding when aluminum is used

Sorry, I rarely disagree with you. But, on this you are wrong. Use NON self-tapping screws when securing to aluminum. That way you will have screws that will tighten and stay tight. Doug

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III

As for frames etc......not much load bearing so screws will hold but can strip out very easily.

Weight capacity/Load bearing requires nuts/bolts or welding when aluminum is used
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
All sorts of stuff screwed into my aluminum frame like the water heater, door etc. I like showing off the weld quality around my water heater so here.......:)

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Old-Biscuit wrote:
1st off......
Screws do NOT hold in aluminum studs/rafters
That is why they are bolted or welded........

The ladder on my 5er is attached with screws into the aluminum frame. And is solid. I have climbed it many times. At least it was solid until I caught the corner of the rear cap on a steel column coming out of storage and pulled the rear cap back about 18" including pulling the ladder screws out of the aluminum frame. :S

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
1st off......
Screws do NOT hold in aluminum studs/rafters
That is why they are bolted or welded

Brochure states
6-way fully welded "aluminum cage" construction

5" welded aluminum truss roof rafters w/ 3/8" decking
Welded aluminum framed fully laminated 2" sidewall

Securing a TV mount to ceiling or even wall with be difficult due to the screws NOT holding in aluminum

Now if you were to mount it to wood cabinet :H

Sorry don't have good solution other then removing a ceiling panel and building a wood support to screw into.

2004 Dutchmen Colorado see pg 11
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Use a stud finder to find the rafters and then drill a small hole into one in the area where you plan to mount and see what comes out...doubt it will be alum. Wood screws will work in alum.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
If you remove a ceiling vent fan bezel you will probably be able to see the rafters. I've seen aluminum/foam panel walls with wood rafters. My 2000 FW has alum studs and alum rafters.