cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MS TS-60 MPPT Solar Controller Data

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
I did a simple data grab earlier this afternoon and though I would post some of the results.

SURE would appreciate others posting their controllers results

The rigs setup - Four panels in a series parallel arrangement 2 each K135 and 2 each K140 panels - House batteries 2 Costco 6VDC CG 220amp rated - 3oo watt Suresine inverter - Trimetric 2025RV

Ambient temperature 93F - Fast moving clouds - House battery SOC 99% (Trimetric Reading)

19:20:37 to 19:21:38 a very smalll load on the house battery bank maybe 4 amps, 19:21:38 to 19:22:39 added a 100watt 110Vac bulb on the inverter, Added engine starting battery as a load and switched it off about 19:24:00, Clouds cam through 19:24:41, added back the 100watt 110Vac bulb

32 REPLIES 32

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
KJINTF wrote:
smk

Yes it meets my expectations

HOWEVER what I am really looking for is for other folks to post their data

Be really nice to see how other Solar Controller stack up
If anyone has one of the "cheap" units being discussed on other threads and can do the testing we could all see if the extra cost for the MS is added value or not.

As cheap as these 'no name' controllers are, my guess, none of the tech's have any interest in units selling up to 80% under the name brands selling price. For testing. Something related to 'to good to be true' ?? Perhaps. All I know is the MPPT in use here, works for me. I also have been using a 12/24v 20a $14.00 PWM 'no name' on my 24v scooter for one month. The scooter is stored undercover, however I roll it out most days and the batts are near full on sunny days after riding use for one to two hours with just one 24v/100w panel. Why would I spend more old moldy to do the same job? Just asking.

O$S
Floyd

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
Above 100% ........... Sure would be nice to see other manufaturers data

I believe (however just a guess) that the controller stores a very short duration of energy and gives it up a few mili seconds later

Check out the logging interval - I used 2sec

Clouds occured at the end of the log file and can easily be seen as the controller trys to regain the Max Power Point - looks as if it's quick

I have seen in cooler weather in excess of 550 watts from the array which could be attributed to cloud edge effect but not this time at 90 plus F

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Above 100% ?

Cloud Edging ?

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
From what I could gleen off the Blue Sky data sheets and manuals - no way to log data and show the public the results. Where can I find a Blue Sky down loadable data logger application?????

Was looking forward to seeing a few other manufaturers real world data displayed here for all of us to take a look at .....

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I did not say the information was not possible to get--I said I have no way to get it--an IPN remote is not in my future.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

The array current (input?) vs the battery current (output to battery?) Is that boost? I.e. the exchange of voltage for amps that MPPT is supposed to do?

I'd love to post but I have no way to access what my Blue Sky 3024di does on input vs output.
The IPN-ProRemote will provide that information.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
Input / Output efficiency graph
Took the numbers for the power graph (Output/Input*100)

Anyone have a guess why so many places are above 100%???

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
smk

Yes it meets my expectations

HOWEVER what I am really looking for is for other folks to post their data

Be really nice to see how other Solar Controller stack up
If anyone has one of the "cheap" units being discussed on other threads and can do the testing we could all see if the extra cost for the MS is added value or not.

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
12thgenusa

I downloaded the Rouge application (it's on their web site) but since I do not have the Rouge controller there was not much I could with it. MSVIEW can be setup and used "off line" without a controller hooked up. Both are nice applications each with strengths and weaknesses

Yes I have configured the controller to reduce the absorption duration for that very reason. I believe your machine contains similar functionality.

I will venture a guess on the Power I/O graph
The controller might "store" some limited energy for a very short duration causing the output to be higher than in the input for the same short duration. I changed the sample rate on several occasions and still saw the same output power aberration.

I believe the log interval was 2sec for the above graphs

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
KJINTF wrote:
I look at my system a bit different from others, to me its a power source not a battery charger.

My thoughts exactly. I really like all the information that is available from the MS. I wonder what is available from the Rogue if I purchased the interface and downloaded the software?

Do you find that after running extended loads during the day, when the loads are removed, the absorption mode is abbreviated or bypassed altogether? I find that to be the case with the Rogue. Extended times in MPPT under loads probably allow the battery voltage to rise above the absorb setpoint and/or the battery current acceptance has dropped below the setpoint. Maybe the MS has setting to adjust for that. Maybe the Rogue does too that I haven't found yet.

KJINTF wrote:
The manufacturer claims 98% efficiency (take a look at their web site) - I have seen even higher if you can believe the numbers from the device.

Looking at your power trace, I see where quite often the output power is actually higher than the input power. Since that is really not possible, maybe the sample rate is slower for the output power?

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Looks like all is working fine. Does it not meet your expectations?

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
Yes - as in correct "Battery Current" is the total current output from the controller, not the current flowing into the battery. The current flowing into and out of the "House Battery" can be seen on the Trimetric 2025RV. I am sure if it had been labeled "Load Current" that would also confuse some folks. I look at my system a bit different from others, to me its a power source not a battery charger.

Sure can easily run a trace on efficiency - will get to it tomorrow morning

Remember efficiency is not a constant. This controller is a 3 phase controller as in it has three separate 20amp Buck converters in parallel. It turns then on only when needed - for example less than 20amps "Battery Current" only one of the conversioon stages is active. The beauty of the multi phase system is increased efficiency across the entire operating range.

The manufacturer claims 98% efficiency (take a look at their web site) - I have seen even higher if you can believe the numbers from the device. In general if you get close to the mid 90's% as an average across all operating parameters thing are very good.

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
If I understand it, the trace labeled "battery current" is actually all the output, not just what is going to the batteries?

Can you run a trace that shows controller efficiency. Guestimation from the graphs looks like about 95% or better.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

hmknightnc
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi KJINTF,

Thanks for posting those.

Does graph #2 indicate how many amps of boost there are from the MPPT?

Looks like he is getting about 2.5x boost contineously by visually looking at that graph. With battery at 14.5 volts means array was operating somewhere north of 30 volts.

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
No magic "Boost" just a simple high voltage to lower voltage conversion with associated current increase "Buck" conversion. The magic is in the Tracking alogrythm. I got some nice data showing how fast it tracks with regards to array voltage changes due to shading.