Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Nearly dead battery

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I have a battery cutoff switch to my TT battery. It was discounted from
the TT. I switched it on and went inside and the battery was nearly dead. It was fully charged when it was switched off. What would cause it to go dead in two weeks? 20011 Gulf Stream TT.
samsontdog:o:W
21 REPLIES 21

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Kinda simple,....
If the battery was truly fully charged,
and it was completely disconnected from the electrical system,
then the battery is junk, p e r i o d.

For battery testing, need a digital readout volt meter, and this,

http://www.harborfreight.com/100-amp-6-volt12-volt-battery-load-tester-69888-9191.html
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Charge the battery for two days and remove a cable. Check again in three days to see if it holds 12.6+ volts.
I assume the water level is OK.

Otherwise there is something bypassing the switch. You may need to add your own.

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all of you !! Gives me something to check out tomorrow
samsontdog:o:W

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Start from scratch...

Charge the battery and have it load tested. You CANNOT do this at home unless you have a regular battery charger and a 500 amp carbon pile load tester. A battery distributor can do it.

But first MARK ALL WIRES BEFORE YOU DISCONNECT THEM.

If the battery tests bad replace it.

Buy a cheap 12 volt test light. The kind without batteries inside.

When reconnecting the tested-good or new battery connect the POSITIVE FIRST. Leave the negative disconnected.

Clip the test light clamp onto the ground wires that lay disconnected from the battery terminal.

Grab the test light and touch the tip to the positive post, the one that remained disconnected.

Does the light light up?

Yes. You have a draw somewhere. Your disconnect switch is bypassed or shorted somewhere. Leave the negative wire disconnected until you get around to fixing what's wrong.

No. Congratulations on your new battery. The old battery was bad.

Moved from Forum Technical Support

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Provided the battery is good, the disconnect switch may not cover sensors like CO and LP and PROBABLY doesn't include slide room or tongue jack. Those items can add up.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
samsontdog wrote:
I have a battery cutoff switch to my TT battery. It was discounted from
the TT. I switched it on and went inside and the battery was nearly dead. It was fully charged when it was switched off. What would cause it to go dead in two weeks? 20011 Gulf Stream TT.

Could be a bad cell.
Roaming Full Timer